Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic acid accident

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic acid accident

Hi, I accidentally dropped a full bottle of muriatic acid into the pool. No idea how much went in, about a quarter of it is missing, but maybe water got back into the bottle. My question is what color would the PH test be for really low numbers. My test only goes down to 6.8 and the color of the water is like a rust color that I don't recognize. In other words, how can I guesstimate how low the PH got, and also, how low a PH would do damage to the equipment? Thank you.
    screened-in 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic acid accident

I threw a small amount of 20 Mule borax in, but am unsure as to how much of an emergency this is.
    screened-in 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Use Pool Math to calculate how much borax to add to go from 6.8 to 7.5 then add that much. Run pump for 30 minutes and re-test and repeat until you get readings on your test.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, I will try that.

- - - Updated - - -

Half an hour is enough to mix everything and bring up the PH (I do premix the borax in a bucket and pour it into the jet)??

5. Back To Top    #5

yes it is
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

More here on adding chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach