Hello from Warm & Sunny El Dorado Hills, CA

Lomond

Jul 18, 2016
El Dorado Hills, CA
I recently bought a home with a pool and currently have a pool service. I am planning to discontinue the service and take this on myself. I do not know much about pool maintenance, but am eager to learn. It is great to know there is a support group out there!

:swim:

Outstanding! Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're making a good move. Just make sure to start with the right test kit. I recommend the TF-100 (link below). Here is some more info that may help you:
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Great to have you with us.

I recently bought a home with a pool and currently have a pool service. I am planning to discontinue the service and take this on myself. I do not know much about pool maintenance, but am eager to learn. It is great to know there is a support group out there!

:swim:

Congratulations and welcome! I am right around the corner in Rocklin. So we have similar climates (HOT!) and sometimes cold. I got rid of my pool guy about 2 months ago and my pool has been sparkling clear using the methods here. You won't go wrong.

Hopefully the pool guy didnt mess up the pool too bad and put too much CYA in it. If he did, I would probably just use recommended doses of chlorine, be sure to not let it drop below the minimum (or else you're in BIG trouble if you get algae) and just let the water "splash" and run-out during the rains this year (hopefully we get some).

That way, with our drought, you don't have to dump pool water.

Hey Rocklin Neighbor- Thanks for the tips. I will purchase the test kit Texas Splash recommended (Thank you Texas Splash). This kit tests CYA. Hopefully my pool guy did me right maintaining the proper CYA level.

Enjoy the cooler weather in Rocklin the next few days and jump in that pool when it heats up over 100 this weekend!!