Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help ID a pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Help ID a pipe

On the left side of my heater I have this 3-inch pipe with a black rubber cap and hose clamp coming out of the ground diagonally.
    IMG_20160718_112528605_HDR.jpg

Inside it is dry and full of spider webs. It appears to make a 45 degree turn about 24 inches down to run horizontally under my equipment pad towards the pump and filter.

Any thoughts on what it is?

Thanks for your help.

Eric
    Eric Anton, Coppell, TX
    15K gal IG plaster Pool & Spa, Century 1081 2.20 hp pump, Nautilus NS60 DE filter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESC gas heater, Polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help ID a pipe

It could be a sleeve run under the concrete to allow for something else to be installed later without needing to break up the concrete. What's on the other side(s) of the equipment pad? Any idea where the other end might be? The pipe appears to be 3" or 4", which is huge for residential pool piping - thus I'm thinking it's a sleeve.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

3. Back To Top    #3

My guess is that it has nothing to do with your pool. Most likely a sewer clean out that was in the way when they installed the pool equipment and the PB just moved it. In most cities in the DFW area, DE filters must be plumbed into the sewer, so one thing to look for is where your back-flush pipe is connected.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can tell if it be a sewer clean out by the smell - uncapped sewer clean outs will stink.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)