Pool Newbie in GA

Jul 18, 2016
Athens, GA
Hello!

I have been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks now researching pools. We have known for a few years we wanted a pool, so we finally decided now is the time. She grew up with a pool and I lived on a lake as a kid, so we have really missed having cool water to jump into during the summer heat.

We have decided to do a fiberglass pool by Tallman Pools out of Jonesboro, GA. I have read nothing but positives on them, though it looks like fiberglass pools don't have the best reputation. It fits our budget better than gunite and her parents vinyl lined has been through several liners and it has really added up.

I joined so I can keep looking at information on pumps, cleaners, etc. Any comments or recommendations are welcome as I am a total newb.

Thanks,

Graham

I think you will find that most people who are happy with their pool will advocate the same kind of pool as they used. I used Green Acres out of Cartersville, which installed all of my neighbor's pools. The owners are good folks (sometimes a little busy, but as a small business owner myself I get it). They build all kinds of pools rather than just vinyl or fiberglass or gunite. (While they are good folks, and I trust them, I don't let the kids in the store test my water).

They told me that they have a vinyl pool, but if they were going to do it again they would choose fiberglass. For me, personally, all of the fiberglass pools I've seen I hated. They look like giant bathtubs in the ground. Then again, the ones I've seen are older and were made with no coping, so the top of the fiberglass sticks out and it really looks like a tub surrounded by a concrete deck.

I went with vinyl because that was what my neighbor had, I liked it, and it was cheaper. Just like fiberglass pools have changed, so have vinyl. If you take care of your pool and use quality vinyl, you won't be replacing it all the time. My neighbor has had his pool for 12 years without ever replacing the vinyl and it looks fine. If you use 20 mil vinyl, plan on it tearing and having to replace it. Also, use a steel frame and not wood or something that breaks down easily.

I have no regrets on my decision. You generally have to resurface gunite as often as you would replace a vinyl liner, and it is more expensive. While fiberglass should last, if it does crack you have to replace the whole thing. Make sure you know what the warranty covers. If you are going with fiberglass, just like vinyl, make sure you choose a quality pool. From what I hear, trilogy makes quality pools, but I don't have one so I can't recommend them. I've heard problems with some of the cheaper varieties.