Jumping in head first!

Jul 18, 2016
Wellington, FL
After living in our house for 3 years, I've finally decided to fire the pool company (after leaving our the pool fence open 4 weeks in a row, thus putting my toddler and preschooler in danger). I'm slightly nervous as this is horrible timing since we are leaving on vacation this Friday for 15 days and our pool will be left neglected.

I've ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit, but it will not arrive until after we have already left. The pool was last serviced by the pool company on Thursday (4 days ago) and we leave in 4 days. My plan was to take a water sample to the pool store to see what levels we're working with tonight and see what needs to be added since I'm not sure the pool tech ever actually tested the water, but just came and dumped chlorine mostly.

I've been reading past posts for ideas on how to keep my pool in decent shape while we're gone. I saw a lot of people suggesting to raise the chlorine to shock level (this is 10ppm, right?), covering with a solar cover (which we have), and adding one(or more?) puck in a floater. Assuming all other levels are good when testing, should this be enough? I have also noticed a tiny bit of algae in my spa. Should I buy something at the pool store tonight for that or wait and deal with it after the trip?

Pool is an concrete inground 10x25ft with attached 7.5ft round spa. We're also in South Florida so the sun is very direct here.

Welcome to the forum Coldenka. Since you have to rely on pool store testing, post the results for more help. Post your own test results when you return. My SWCG broke down a couple of days before vacation. I put 3 pucks in a floater and I was fine. Using those will raise your CYA but at this late stage it wont matter much. Just get your own test kit in and test it yourself. Post your results and you will have people helping in no time. This is by far the most helpful forum I have ever been a member of. Good luck and enjoy the vacation.

We need to know what kind of pool you have to know if your CH is too low. We don't recommend testing phosphates or TDS because they aren't meaningful to TFPC.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you with your pool. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Sorry pooldv! I added it and it's showing up for me in the original post, but not replies. I'll look into that.

I have a 10x25 ft inground concrete pool with a 7.5 ft wide circular spa that feeds into it. It's about 20ish years old.