Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jumping in head first!

1. Back To Top    #1

Jumping in head first!

After living in our house for 3 years, I've finally decided to fire the pool company (after leaving our the pool fence open 4 weeks in a row, thus putting my toddler and preschooler in danger). I'm slightly nervous as this is horrible timing since we are leaving on vacation this Friday for 15 days and our pool will be left neglected.

I've ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit, but it will not arrive until after we have already left. The pool was last serviced by the pool company on Thursday (4 days ago) and we leave in 4 days. My plan was to take a water sample to the pool store to see what levels we're working with tonight and see what needs to be added since I'm not sure the pool tech ever actually tested the water, but just came and dumped chlorine mostly.

I've been reading past posts for ideas on how to keep my pool in decent shape while we're gone. I saw a lot of people suggesting to raise the chlorine to shock level (this is 10ppm, right?), covering with a solar cover (which we have), and adding one(or more?) puck in a floater. Assuming all other levels are good when testing, should this be enough? I have also noticed a tiny bit of algae in my spa. Should I buy something at the pool store tonight for that or wait and deal with it after the trip?

Pool is an concrete inground 10x25ft with attached 7.5ft round spa. We're also in South Florida so the sun is very direct here.
    '96-'00 Pool, 10x25 (8,500? gal), IG concrete with 7.5ft round spa attached, Pentair Superflo 1.5hp pump, Hayward cartridge C1200 fliter, Test kit: Taylor k-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jumping in head first!

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine level and shock level is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart

This is how we kill algae, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Coldenka. Since you have to rely on pool store testing, post the results for more help. Post your own test results when you return. My SWCG broke down a couple of days before vacation. I put 3 pucks in a floater and I was fine. Using those will raise your CYA but at this late stage it wont matter much. Just get your own test kit in and test it yourself. Post your results and you will have people helping in no time. This is by far the most helpful forum I have ever been a member of. Good luck and enjoy the vacation.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just got back from the pool store and here are the results:
    FAC- 3ppm
    TAC- 3
    Calcium Hardness- 140
    CYA-40ppm
    TA- 80ppm
    pH- 7.8
    TDS- 900
    Phosphates- 1000ppb

They flagged the CH as low and the Phospates as very high.
    '96-'00 Pool, 10x25 (8,500? gal), IG concrete with 7.5ft round spa attached, Pentair Superflo 1.5hp pump, Hayward cartridge C1200 fliter, Test kit: Taylor k-2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

We need to know what kind of pool you have to know if your CH is too low. We don't recommend testing phosphates or TDS because they aren't meaningful to TFPC.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you with your pool. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We need to know what kind of pool you have to know if your CH is too low. We don't recommend testing phosphates or TDS because they aren't meaningful to TFPC.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you with your pool. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Sorry pooldv! I added it and it's showing up for me in the original post, but not replies. I'll look into that.

I have a 10x25 ft inground concrete pool with a 7.5 ft wide circular spa that feeds into it. It's about 20ish years old.

7. Back To Top    #7

I checked the show signs box on the post above. You need to check the box once on each device you use and it will stay checked after that.

Yes, your CH is too low, raise it to 250 ppm. More here on pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator