Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Start and SWG at vacation time

1. Back To Top    #1

Post New Pool Start and SWG at vacation time

Hi,
    I'd like some opinions concerning a new pool startup and SWG. My above ground 27' round is getting installed and wired in the first week of August. We go away on vacation and wont be at home the entire 2nd week of August. I want to fill the pool before we leave to give the water plenty of time to warm up. It will have a SWG installed but i dont intend on running the filter or SWG while we are away for 7 days. I have no one to watch it. My thought was to bring the chlorine level up with liquid chlorine prior to us leaving on vacation and then running the filter and SWG as normal once we return.I also plan on already having the salt in and leveled up prior to us leaving. My question is do you think this is a reasonable idea and that i likely wont come back to a green swamp? I expect my levels to be off on returning, but i dont think they'll be that bad. Anyone?
    Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Start and SWG at vacation time

Why not run the SWG while you're away? That's the beauty of an SWG - requires no maintenance (well, minimal) or supervision - just runs! You will return to a beautiful, ready-to-swim pool, rather than a swamp.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm reluctant to run brand new equipment that is freshly installed without having it checked on daily. I'm mainly leary of possibly popping a hose off or the filter needing backwash.

4. Back To Top    #4

You want to make sure you have some CYA in the pool. Maybe leave some pucks in a floater.

Personally, I'd put the pump and SWG on a timer, but YMMV.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.