Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP with diving board?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question AGP with diving board?

Are there any good options for DIY AGPs that allow a diving board? I understand it will need an 8' deep end, but the few deep end options I've found have slopes from all the sides such that the deepest area isn't big enough for a diving board.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP with diving board?

I wouldn't expect so. The hopper dimensions are pretty tough to meet in a lot of in ground pools.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

This is dangerous and as JohnT mentioned, hard to accommodate even in in ground pools. You'd also be hard pressed to find an insurance company to cover you with an above ground pool with a diving board. I've never even heard of someone trying to do this or even attempting. It's not a good idea!

Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess I should have included the DIY in-ground pool kits in my question. They seem very similar to the AGPs that can be buried, like Radiant, with pour concrete collars around the bottom of the vertical walls. poolkits.com has pictures with diving boards, but I don't see any design specs with big hoppers.

5. Back To Top    #5

Insurance is an issue. I had to switch agents because my old agent didn't have any companies he dealt with who would insure a diving pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Insurance is an issue. I had to switch agents because my old agent didn't have any companies he dealt with who would insure a diving pool.
    Same here when I bought my home. Got ins then my agent called saying company decided not to insure us w diving board. He found another company but I have to pay more each month. I'm willing to take the board down but no idea how I'd get the old stainless steel legs out of the concrete.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

When we called our agent she said "that's great, a pool, yea no problem...just don't put a slide or diving board in".
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

8. Back To Top    #8

Interesting insurance aspect. I just call my insurance company and they said a slide or diving board isn't something they even ask about. There'd be a small increase to insure the replacement cost of a pool, and they require the usual 4' fence w/ locking gates, but nothing more. My liability coverage was already at the max, so maybe that had something to do with it.

9. Back To Top    #9

The 8 foot minimum is for jumping headfirst off of the pool deck or diving rock. A springboard requires greater depth since the person jumping launches themselves in the air and they are entering the water from a greater height. In that case the pool would need to be around 11 feet deep.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    The 8 foot minimum is for jumping headfirst off of the pool deck or diving rock. A springboard requires greater depth since the person jumping launches themselves in the air and they are entering the water from a greater height. In that case the pool would need to be around 11 feet deep.

Growing up, my neighbors had a 10' pool with a small springboard. about a foot higher than the deck, and not very springy. We could easily hit the 10' bottom with out hand if we did not pull up after a dive. As you said, you really need a deep well for a diving board. Something to remember is that if you design a pool for a diving board, it is not good for much else (maybe swimming laps or just floating around in a float) but you cannot stand, play volleyball, basketball, or just horse around, because most of the pool is too deep. As a kid, about 80% of the area that neighbors pool was over our heads.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo