Hayward Superpump - initially not starting, now very noisy

kolcun

Silver Supporter
Apr 12, 2015
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Hi All,

(quick backstory: similar issues at the end of last fall, though not as bad as it always started - during this spring opening, pump worked without issue until now)

I had my pump off for the majority of the day, and came back to turn it on in the evening
It made a very loud buzzing noise and would not start.
Left it off for the evening.
Buzzing, not starting : Pump buzzing - no flow - YouTube

Next morning, I removed the end cap, ad was able to turn the shaft, it did not seem stuck and turned easily.
Then I turned on the power, and it did start, after some non-typical noises and a very slow start - it is now running.
Starting and running: After manual spin - startup - YouTube

It has been running for a few hours, though has a sound that is different than normal (sort of a pulsing sound, which is not typical)
Running: After manual spin - noisy - YouTube

Any thoughts on if this may be
- capacitor related (starting issue perhaps - but what about the noise it's making while running)
- bearing issue?
- something else?

Thanks very much for the input.

Pump Details
Single Speed Superpump
Model: SP2607X10A
HP: 1
RPM 3450

That could be a bad start capacitor. The noise in the last video could be because you turned the shaft using the governor so it might be slightly out of alignment with the centrifugal switch. Double check the springs and the alignment of the reed switch.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't exactly sure what needed to be aligned, so I took some pictures.
A Before picture :
before.jpg
And then I aligned the chrome governor with the reed switch, though as it turns when the motor runs, I'm not really actually aligning it.
After picture:
after.jpg

Video of run after my alignment (odd screeching noise): First run after alignment - YouTube
and it still has that pulsing sound.

Let it sit for an hour while I run an errand, then ran it again: Second run after alignment - YouTube
it now seems to have less problem starting, though I didn't really do anything, still hearing that pulsing sound.

And slow mo video of the startup for fun ;) : Slow mo run - YouTube

Do you have any links or further details about the alignment you mention?

Thanks very much.

For alignment, the only thing that is important is that the center of the governor is right under the switch corner. Also, if the governor must move up and down easily. If it sticks just a little, it can cause that noise.

So, like in this picture, the governor needs to be contacting the point of the reed switch - that's the alignment you're talking about?
2-p1160588.jpg

I'll check that, and also move the governor up/down and see if it's free.

Thanks
/m

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.