Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super noisy pool motor affecting maintenance.

1. Back To Top    #1

Super noisy pool motor affecting maintenance.

Hello, folks,

Lately, I've been experiencing issues with the pool motor, as it has been running extremely loud. It's almost an plane blade propeller, making that whirring sound, and it feels as though any day now, I'll wake up to find that the pump flew away. It's also affected the manner in which I'm trying to SLAM the pool, as I've been adding chlorine, but I see little to no change. I'll turn the motor on, and it seems as though it's running, but there's little to no change when I try to clean it. I read a previous thread about pool motors, which was posted over three years ago; but I'm posting this here to see if these two issues (noisy motor, and pool maintenance) are co-related. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Super noisy pool motor affecting maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydelrey View Post
    but I'm posting this here to see if these two issues (noisy motor, and pool maintenance) are co-related.
    Not usually unless the pump is not pumping water at all. Can you feel water coming out of the returns?

Post a set of full test results. More than likely your SLAM has not kept the FC at sufficient levels. How often are you testing and have you run a OCLT?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Not usually unless the pump is not pumping water at all. Can you feel water coming out of the returns?

Post a set of full test results. More than likely your SLAM has not kept the FC at sufficient levels. How often are you testing and have you run a OCLT?

It is pumping water. I tried to clean the pump per the instructions that were offered on this site. So I can still be able to SLAM the pool in spite of the noisy pump motor? What could be the issue with the motor?

4. Back To Top    #4

Since our last correspondence, it has stopped running altogether. It will come on for a few seconds, then stop. I'm guessing it's the motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Then it is probably bad bearings. You can either replace the bearings, the motor or the entire pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater