Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bottom Drain on AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottom Drain on AGP?

So is it even possible to put a bottom drain on an AGP in addition to the skimmer?

What is the opinion on whether or not to do it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Bottom Drain on AGP?

It's possible, but I don't think it would be worth the effort.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

I have one. I like it because a) I can circulate the water at levels below the skimmer if I need to (haven't needed to yet) and b) mostly it really cuts down on the amount of crud...I hardly ever have to vacume. Easy way is the kids make a whirlpool and I just use the pole brush to push any crud to the center, and the bottom drain sucks it all up. Works wonders.

You do have to be careful to winterize it properly if you are in an area prone to freezing temps. Also if installed incorrectly you can have real liner problems, I saw that on my SIL's pool - she has one too.

But I agree, it's certainly not a necessity.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Summerton, SC

I have a bottom drain as well. I didn't ask for it but was told that all installs by the installer I used includes a bottom drain. As frustratedpoolmom mentioned, the main reason that I like it is I don't have to vacuum very often. I think I may have vacuumed twice last year and the pool got some heavy use. The last one out was responsible for creating the whirlpool.

24' X 52" AGP (13,500 gal)
    Pentair Dynamo 1HP with SD-40 filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB and loving it