Getting Ready for SLAM. Too good to be true? Can a black pool be blue?

Ok, tonight's plan. After the rain passes, I will brush down, backwash, and vacuum a little in the deep end for good measure, then I will add enough chlorine to get up to 18. Anything else I should add? Cross your fingers and wish me luck!!

I know I am jumping in here a little late, but when your pool went clear what was the FC reading? Also, I brought a black swamp back last year when I bought a house that had not used the pool in several years, took me a little under a week once I started following advice from this forum. Also it helped me to vacuum the deep area to waste with someone watching the waste water when it would turn brown I would pause till it cleared, I think that helped. Also you mentioned that dirt would come out the returns when filtering, which really should not happen unless you did not rinse after back-washing. so keep that in mind if things do not clear up soon. But in my way way of thinking you are probably correct that you FC was not high enough for SLAM. Good luck and will track to see your success.

I know I am jumping in here a little late, but when your pool went clear what was the FC reading? Also, I brought a black swamp back last year when I bought a house that had not used the pool in several years, took me a little under a week once I started following advice from this forum. Also it helped me to vacuum the deep area to waste with someone watching the waste water when it would turn brown I would pause till it cleared, I think that helped. Also you mentioned that dirt would come out the returns when filtering, which really should not happen unless you did not rinse after back-washing. so keep that in mind if things do not clear up soon. But in my way way of thinking you are probably correct that you FC was not high enough for SLAM. Good luck and will track to see your success.

No change today. Maybe a little worse. Last night I added 10 gallons of chlorine, 8 should have been enough to get it to 18, I added two more just to be sure I was getting there.

When my pool went blue before, it was before I started the SLAM and had just came upon this site. We had been using trichlor based shock. That turned it from bright green to cloudy white to blue in 48 hours. I had an OTO test kit at that point so I'm not sure what the FC number went to. At that point we started prepping for the SLAM and we drained some water to lower the CYA from mid 80s. My ph was low (6.8) and we added baking soda and washing soda to bring it up. The next morning the water was much clearer. I started adding liquid chlorine to maintain and prevent it from going green. Apparently I wasn't adding enough because in a few days it went from completely clear from about 6 feet ( I couldn't see the bottom of the deep) to green and I haven't been able to pull it back. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but it is discouraging. My ph was a little high last night, about 7.4. Would that be enough to prevent the chlorine from clearing the water? At least enough to see some improvement?

Just to be sure, what test kit are you using. I am no expert yet, as my username indicates, but I have slammed twice when pool was really bad, worse than your pictures and I was swimming in about a week with very clear water (when I first started out and when I opened this year, I did not get the memo that the mesh cover I inherited when I bought house is not a good cover to winterize with. I should have used common sense and known better but I didn't). I also use a solar cover to retain heat but that can give me a problem but it is pretty easy to recognize and fix in a day or so. I do not think 7.4 ph is that bad and my last slam I did was between 7.2 and 7.5 (did not match either one but somewhere in the middle and no problems). I am just trying to figure out what could be wrong, and verify test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.