Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nature's Pool Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Nature's Pool Filter

Hi,

i'm new to the world of pools but i'm trying to look into ways to use less chlorine (if possible).

I came across this video and website that use plants to reduce the amount of chlorine needed to keep the pool clear. Is it too good to be true? Has anyone tried it? Thanks!

How to Get Rid of Green Algae in swimming Pools Water - YouTube
    Natures Pool Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nature's Pool Filter

It's too good to be true. Chlorine is your friend.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The FAQ on Nature's Pool Filter states you must use chlorine with this product. They recommend 1 tablet per 5000 gallons of water. One 8 ounce tablet raises FC by approximately 4ppm, so you are not using as little chlorine as you may think, especially since most pools run 10-15,000 gallons. In the video you posted, Nature's Pool Filter left a comment that the person who posted the video is using it wrong and in an unsafe manner. Her pool does not look as good as she thinks it does. It is still cloudy.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup... this is like snake oil IMO.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Yup... this is like snake oil IMO.
    I appreciate everyone's opinions, but does anyone have any factual information? I am interested in this product to help keep algae at bay instead of using a polyquat. Are you guys saying that is doesn't save money? Is it not effective? Is it unsafe? ... or does it just violate the triple B principles?

Thanks,
    John
    vinyl roman IG pool with steps & board, 32,000 gals, Hayward sand filter and Super Pump, Bleach for sanitization, Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine (K-2006) Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    The FAQ on Nature's Pool Filter states you must use chlorine with this product. They recommend 1 tablet per 5000 gallons of water. One 8 ounce tablet raises FC by approximately 4ppm, so you are not using as little chlorine as you may think, especially since most pools run 10-15,000 gallons. In the video you posted, Nature's Pool Filter left a comment that the person who posted the video is using it wrong and in an unsafe manner. Her pool does not look as good as she thinks it does. It is still cloudy.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnway2 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's opinions, but does anyone have any factual information? I am interested in this product to help keep algae at bay instead of using a polyquat. Are you guys saying that is doesn't save money? Is it not effective? Is it unsafe? ... or does it just violate the triple B principles?

Thanks,
    John
    I think what Zea posted answers your question.

KIm TFP MOD
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

For factual or personnaly related info just use site search to find threads like these
    Nature2 Mineral Sanitizer
    I used to use copper type sanitizers, until the daughter asked me why her daughter's hair turned green, right about the time I found this site 7 years ago.
    I made the switch to bleach and soon after to swg, proper testing and things have been clear and clean the last 7 years.
    Bleach I put that stuff on everything
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks,
    John
    I'm not sure what you expect out of this product. The website sells a single product, ie, a bag of white powder that is described as -

POOL FILTER PACK

Contents in filter are 100% Natural dried plant and plant parts. The filter is designed to sanitize pool water, by inhibiting the growth of bacteria, and lowering pH levels naturally.
    So it's essentially dried up and crushed ... plants??? What do you do with it, pour it into your filter? How is that any different than crushing up dried grass clippings, pulverizing it into a powder and throwing it into your skimmer?

If you look at the "science" justification they link to on it's website, it's an EPA Fact Sheet on bioremediation, or "phytotechnology". The link, which is not even to the official US EPA website, describes the use of constructed wetlands as a method of remediating various super-fund sites. So how is that related at all or in any way to residential swimming pools??

I think if you look at it more carefully, you can see how this is nothing more than a merchant website using a fancy webpage and some random links to sell unwitting customers what amounts to a bag of magic beans. I did an internet domain name search to see who the domain name is registered to and it is a company in FL. I searched the FL Better Business Bureau and the company is not accredited by the FL BBB but has an A- rating with one unresolved customer complaint. So, one has to ask, do you trust buying a product from a company that is not accredited by a state BBB and has an unresolved customer complaint??

If you are truly having algae problems, then I would suggest you review the TFPC method of pool care and ask specific questions about your pool. It would also help us to help you if you post your own test results and describe the algae problems you are seeing and why you are using polyquat-60.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by LFrankow View Post
    For factual or personnaly related info just use site search to find threads like these
    Nature2 Mineral Sanitizer
    I used to use copper type sanitizers, until the daughter asked me why her daughter's hair turned green, right about the time I found this site 7 years ago.
    I made the switch to bleach and soon after to swg, proper testing and things have been clear and clean the last 7 years.
    Bleach I put that stuff on everything
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I'm not sure what you expect out of this product. The website sells a single product, ie, a bag of white powder that is described as -

So it's essentially dried up and crushed ... plants??? What do you do with it, pour it into your filter? How is that any different than crushing up dried grass clippings, pulverizing it into a powder and throwing it into your skimmer?

If you look at the "science" justification they link to on it's website, it's an EPA Fact Sheet on bioremediation, or "phytotechnology". The link, which is not even to the official US EPA website, describes the use of constructed wetlands as a method of remediating various super-fund sites. So how is that related at all or in any way to residential swimming pools??

I think if you look at it more carefully, you can see how this is nothing more than a merchant website using a fancy webpage and some random links to sell unwitting customers what amounts to a bag of magic beans. I did an internet domain name search to see who the domain name is registered to and it is a company in FL. I searched the FL Better Business Bureau and the company is not accredited by the FL BBB but has an A- rating with one unresolved customer complaint. So, one has to ask, do you trust buying a product from a company that is not accredited by a state BBB and has an unresolved customer complaint??

If you are truly having algae problems, then I would suggest you review the TFPC method of pool care and ask specific questions about your pool. It would also help us to help you if you post your own test results and describe the algae problems you are seeing and why you are using polyquat-60.
    Thanks to both of you!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was just worried that my pool had some odd issue that caused me to have more algae outbreaks, so I was looking for answers. I did review the TFPC algae guidelines and followed them... 16 bags of shock (no bleach at the time) and 2 gallons of bleach later... finally got a chlorine reading above zero. Added bleach to get it up to about 15ppm (CYA of 30-50 test strip reading) and, surprise... the pool looks 100% better after 2 days keeping it at 15ppm. I'm looking at converting to SCG pool now, so I'll post my questions about that in another post.
    vinyl roman IG pool with steps & board, 32,000 gals, Hayward sand filter and Super Pump, Bleach for sanitization, Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine (K-2006) Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was just worried that my pool had some odd issue that caused me to have more algae outbreaks, so I was looking for answers. I did review the TFPC algae guidelines and followed them... 16 bags of shock (no bleach at the time) and 2 gallons of bleach later... finally got a chlorine reading above zero. Added bleach to get it up to about 15ppm (CYA of 30-50 test strip reading) and, surprise... the pool looks 100% better after 2 days keeping it at 15ppm. I'm looking at converting to SCG pool now, so I'll post my questions about that in another post.
    The reason you are having algae problems is indicated in bold.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

You reviewed and followed the guidelines listed on this site, and used "bags of shock" and test strips. Those two statements cannot co-exist...
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you’re going to spend money on a conversion to an SWG which is on the order of $1000 then please do yourself a HUGE favor by investing in a solid and respectable test kit. Strips are no way to manage a pool.

You can either get the Taylor K-2006-SALT kit or the TF-100 with a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. A good test kit will run you about $100 and it will be, by far, the best investment you can ever make in your pool.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

Now that you have a kit start keeping a daily log book, there will be questions later...
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    The reason you are having algae problems is indicated in bold.
    Are you saying I'm having algae problems because I use test strips? I don't see how those two things are related.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the K-2006 test kit, but the CYA test is very hard to get a precise reading... I found that CYA test strips gave me a more precise reading for that particular test, although still not that precise. Are these the only two options for getting an acurate CYA reading? Do I need a whole new type of kit for SWG or can I just add a salt test kit like the K-1766.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I found that CYA test strips gave me a more precise reading for that particular test
    Precise, perhaps, but not accurate. Even if the strip gave you a CYA result of 40.263 PPM, it is the far less accurate of the two tests.......your CYA could well be 60 or 30 ppm.

The LaMotte ColorQ yields VERY precise electronic results but they have proven not to be as accurate as the TF-100 or K-2006

Learn to use the CYA test in your kit. Add the 1766 salt test to your kit when you switch to SWG.

Plain and simple, your algae issues are the lack of chlorine.....perhaps through inaccurate testing or just not understanding where your FC level should be in your pool. See the FC/CYA chart in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

John, I can help you with your CYA testing. This is how I learned to do it so I did not drive myself

GLANCE in only! Do not look for the dot. Mix up the CYA test. Let it sit while you do the other tests. Then pour to the first line (100) and GLANCE in. If you still see the dot, pour to the next line. Keep doing this until you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in. See how this works for you.

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    John, I can help you with your CYA testing. This is how I learned to do it so I did not drive myself

GLANCE in only! Do not look for the dot. Mix up the CYA test. Let it sit while you do the other tests. Then pour to the first line (100) and GLANCE in. If you still see the dot, pour to the next line. Keep doing this until you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in. See how this works for you.

Kim
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Precise, perhaps, but not accurate. Even if the strip gave you a CYA result of 40.263 PPM, it is the far less accurate of the two tests.......your CYA could well be 60 or 30 ppm.

The LaMotte ColorQ yields VERY precise electronic results but they have proven not to be as accurate as the TF-100 or K-2006

Learn to use the CYA test in your kit. Add the 1766 salt test to your kit when you switch to SWG.

Plain and simple, your algae issues are the lack of chlorine.....perhaps through inaccurate testing or just not understanding where your FC level should be in your pool. See the FC/CYA chart in Pool School.
    Thanks to both of you... very helpful comments.