Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Visit to the Pool Store in Two Years to ...

1. Back To Top    #1

First Visit to the Pool Store in Two Years to ...

Buy muriatic acid! And the only reason that I went to the pool store was because Home Depot only had the low odor (weak stuff) in stock.

I Love TFP!
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Visit to the Pool Store in Two Years to ...

I've kinda wanted to go to the pool store to compare prices on bleach and acid, but I'm afraid I'll get roped into a long sales pitch or a scolding.
    2007 Gunite 15k Pump: Whisperflo Motor: B2983 2spd 2.2/0.28 SFHP Sand Filter: TR100 SWG: Aqua Rite T15 Timer: PF1102T w/ redneck SPDT toggle switch Vacuum: Milliard 19" manual / PoolCleaner 2X auto

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    I've kinda wanted to go to the pool store to compare prices on bleach and acid, but I'm afraid I'll get roped into a long sales pitch or a scolding.
    See if you can rope them into a conversation and share the story...ITs amazing how silly they can be... especially the guy that said the sand filter grinds up the sand.....
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

4. Back To Top    #4

On the opposite side of the sales counter was where a teenage summer employee was sloppily testing water and advising customers on what type of expensive magical potion they should buy to solve their problems. I got in and out of the store as fast as possible to get back to my (inexpensive) sparkly pool.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

5. Back To Top    #5

And that's why we don't trust the PS... Oops.. I spilled a little.. better fill it back up with this here tap water...
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been tempted to hand out TFP business cards on the sly to customers when I see they're being mistaken for walking wallets.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

When going into a pool $tore just remember this:

No! Is a complete sentence. You can add on thank you if you would like to but.......If they try to push something on you just look at them and don't say a word. That creeps them out LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    If they try to push something on you just look at them and don't say a word. That creeps them out LOL

Kim
    There's nothing like a creepy stare to freak someone out. I'll have to try that!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have to go to a pool store soon as my new pool plaster warranty requires me to have a written report every month.

Don't need anything as I will be buying what I need from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and Online.

So what can I buy from them when I have to visit every month? Maybe some Muriatic Acid?

Note:
    My Local Ace Hardware mentioned they are going to have pool water testing soon. Their prices are higher unless they have a sale But they have other things to buy. Maybe they won't agressively push to buy chemicals I don't need or want.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Went to my local PS for the first time today to see if they had sequestrant and the lady didn't know what I was talking about... Her young, maybe 13yo daughter, spoke up to let me know where it was... $22 bucks for maybe 1/2 gal, not even sure if its what I even needed...

Also checked their prices on muriatic acid, $7.99/gal of 20 Baume.
    I'll be going to menards where I saw $3.99 online for the same strength.

They did not impress me... It was 20mins before they closed, so maybe they were busy getting ready to close? I've got one other store near that I might try tomorrow.
    16'x48" Coleman AGP Filled 2016-07-16. FlowClear Filter Pump #90401E (???? gph?), Intex LED Fountain.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by abc789987 View Post
    Went to my local PS for the first time today to see if they had sequestrant and the lady didn't know what I was talking about... Her young, maybe 13yo daughter, spoke up to let me know where it was... $22 bucks for maybe 1/2 gal, not even sure if its what I even needed...

Also checked their prices on muriatic acid, $7.99/gal of 20 Baume.
    I'll be going to menards where I saw $3.99 online for the same strength.

They did not impress me... It was 20mins before they closed, so maybe they were busy getting ready to close? I've got one other store near that I might try tomorrow.
    I called every pool store nearby for HEDP sequestrant and none carry it. They've all migrated to lower cost offerings. So I had to pay the gougers on Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Also none of the local pool stores carry Polyquat-60. I found Quat-50 and Polyquad-60. Why do the pool stores hate TFP??
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

You really don't have to buy anything. I just want your to be ready to hear that your FC is high as they do not understand the FC/CYA relationship. IF they try to sell you something just say "I have some of that at home. Thanks!" Now you can always buy a tube to o-ring lube. It is cheap and something you will need in time. A fun toy or float maybe?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I enjoy the pool store. It is where I get my liquid chlorine. This last time, thanks to being a good customer, I left with 5 gallons at a cost of $3.00!

Intek 18' X 48" AG, filled to 36-42"(slope?), Intek sand filter/pump, Hayward skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

I have yet to experience with the pool store! I found TFP right away and knew it was something I wanted to try out first before getting roped into a store! I naturally want to know how everything works and do it myself anyway so while doing research on how to take care of a pool I found the TFP way! So far it has not let me down but I have yet to get into anything bit. I am simply maintaining what I have until we are fulling settled in the home then I will get after the more in depth balance
    10k gal, IG Plaster, 3/4HP WhisperFlo pump, A.0 Smith Centurion single speed motor, Pentair TritonII sand filter, TF100 test kit, Hayward suction cleaner, City well water

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't get how pool stores can sell bleach so cheap... the one near me was 6 bucks a gallon for 12%. Bought the same at Ollies yesterday for 2.50 a gallon. had an ok date. i treat it as 10% to be safe... but don't have to add as much the next day if i am off a little
    Wal Mart has raised their price back to normal on 10% now.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir