Pump Horsepower needed for suction cleaner

Jul 2, 2016
Omaha, NE
Like many who have been posting, I am new to this business! I just set up my 18' pool in June, and clearly need a better way to clean debris off the bottom. The pump that came with the pool has no HP rating, and I can't even calculate it from the voltage and watts, since I can't locate the Wattage either.

My pump is: Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump, 1500 gph

Is there a way to determine the horsepower rating for this pump? Can I determine if it will drive a small suction-type pool cleaner? It would't matter much to me if it just did the pool floor and not the walls.
Such as: Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction-Side Above Ground Pool Cleaner Blue/White

I am open to upgrading the pump if need be. The cartridges are pretty dirty after just a few days.

The pump you have is pretty weak suction wise. I don't think it would support any type of a suction side cleaner.

You could upgrade to the sand filter/pump combo and it would handle a suction side cleaner.

The more HP you have, the more water is being moved... I have a 1 hp pump that likes to try to suck the liner from my pool.. ITs also connected to sand filter... The intex pumps that come with those pools are sufficient at moving water around and have enuf guts to vacuum.. Part of the issue is the cart filters get clogged so fast, it reduces the pressure significantly. You can throw a hair net over the cart to help grab stuff from the water and may extend the life of the filter slightly...

If sand filters or DE filters are in your price range, you can always upgrade to one of those...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.