1st SLAM - Follow Along with Me, Please

Jul 18, 2015
Katy TX
1st Attempt at a SLAM so here we go....

First, I'll say my 2 year old pool looks fine visually with the exception of some algae on the sides (not a lot and definitely not all the way around the pool). I have always been able to clearly see the bottom of the deep end (7 feet).

Here's the baseline numbers
FC 2
CC .5
TC 2.5
CH 200
TA 140
PH 7.4
CYA 60 (2 days ago my local pool store gave me 2 readings of 99 & 100 about 3 hours apart, so I primarily used their numbers when starting SLAM)
Temp 87

Yesterday afternoon I scrubbed the heck out of everything, behind the lights, pool cleaner, etc... before starting the SLAM.
At 9:00pm last night FC 2 & CC .5 and I added 8 gallons 10% Pool Essentials chlorinating liquid
10:00pm last night FC 36 & CC .5
10:30pm last night brushed walls and floor
11:30pm last night FC 33 & CC 0
6:30am this morning FC 30 & CC .5
8:00am this morning I added 304oz of 10% Pool Essentials chlorinating liquid
8:15am this morning I backwashed my filter (Pentair Quad DE 100) and added 2 lbs in a slurry through the skimmer
9:15am this morning FC 37 & CC 0

I plan on adding another 304oz around noon blindly (I'm working and my wife isn't too familiar with testing the water)
I'll test when I get home this evening.

Questions
1. Am I taking the correct course of action? (I've been battling algae walls for a month or so and I'm tired of it)
2. Should I put the pool cleaner back in? (I took it out to clean it and did not put it back in)
3. Should I have my wife add the 304oz blindly around noon today? (I assume some chlorine will burn off)
4. Should I add more of the chlorine this evening to keep FC around 35-40?
5. Should I completely dismantle the filter and wash it and the cartridges down? And, of course, recharge it.
6. Any other suggestions?

Thank you TFP community!

Greetings! :wave: Well, first thing most of us would agree to is that you should never add chemicals blindly, especially in significant amounts. If your CYA actually is 60, you're already over your SLAM FC level.

But here's the most important concern ... how are you testing? You mentioned the pool store CYA test. We never rely on pool store tests because they're usually wrong, but if you used a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006c let us know and please add it to your signature. The fact that you've been battling algae for over a month makes me suspect your testing (pool store perhaps) number are off prohibiting the SLAM from working effectively. So before we go any further, I think it best to confirm how you are testing.

Just one question - why are you using PS (pool store) numbers (CYA) for your Slam instead of your own? Especially the one that they are the worst at. Are you suspect of your own testing? I think you should assume your own, just because 2 stores had them similar doesn't mean they are correct.

Okay past that now ;).
1. Yes, this is the correct action.
2. Up to you, since you are brushing regularly I would spare the cleaner the stress of high FC.
3. I wouldn't since you assumed higher CYA and added over 2 gallons this morning and measured 37 at 9 am.
4. I would test and add to your Slam target of 24 if necessary. (I really question the PS CYA reading).
5. Dismantle only after the 20-25% pressure increase from clean pressure or significant flow reduction.
6. Retest CYA, watch a video if you need too but throw out the PS numbers.

Sorry - I should have included I am using TF-100. Need to add that to my signature.

I measure CYA at 60 and the pool store said 99 and 100 a few hours apart. I'm just not sure I trust my reading at 60 since I am still new to using that test.

Definitely stick with your testing! Just remember the following guidelines:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

So if you confirm a CYA of 60, then your SLAM FC should be "24". Make sure to lower the pH to 7.2 BEFORE raising the FC though. Oops. Disregard that part because you already increased your FC. SO just let the FC drop to 24 if your CYA is 60 and try to keep it there. No need to be so high. Good luck!

Sorry - I should have included I am using TF-100. Need to add that to my signature.

I measure CYA at 60 and the pool store said 99 and 100 a few hours apart. I'm just not sure I trust my reading at 60 since I am still new to using that test.

You being new to testing is still more accurate than the pool store will ever be.. They're just trying to move product into your pool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test now shows FC at 22.5 & CC at 0. I also saw a bit of algae on the wall (a patch a little less than a foot wide by 8" tall) that I brushed off. Water still clear (always has been).

Questions:
1. Does chlorine go down that quickly due to sunlight? It went from 37 at 9:15am to 22.5 at 5:15pm (drop of 14.5 over 8 hours during daylight hours, though it was a day of clouds and sunlight). Or, can I assume some of the loss is due to sun but the rest of the loss is due to it doing its job?

2. Would it help to dismantle and clean the filter (Quad DE) and then recharge it? My thought is that some of the algae is caught up in the filter and will not die and just keeps recirculating. Normal pressure on the filter is 8-18 and it's running at 8 currently, which I assume is a result of the backwash this morning and subsequent addition of 2 LBS of DE.

3. With all this in mind, do I add chlorine tonight to get it to 24 (based on my TF-100 saying CYA = 60) or 40 (based on local PS saying CYA = 100)? My inclination is to add enough to get to 40 to be aggressive on attacking the algae.

Thank you again for the TFP community help!

Let me help:
1 - Yes. You far exceeded your FC of "24" so the extra FC was an easy target to the sun not to mention fighting algae. FC of 24 will work much better.
2 - Perhaps later, but not necessarily at the moment. The bleach will kill the algae. The dead algae will get trapped, hence the backwash to relive the pressure increase of 25%. Just focus on that for now.
3 - Yes, maintain an FC of 24 based on your CYA of 60. Stay with it. It takes time. In another day or two check your CYA again just to make sure you're still good with 60 though.

AHA! I might have found the source of algae. We have 3 scuppers on the side of the pool in the deep end. It's very difficult to get much brush action in there due to the size of the pvc and rocks around it. I was not previously running the scuppers around the clock like I was the pool but now I am. I seriously doubt I was able to get all the algae.

Are there any recommendations on how to kill the algae that I cannot get a brush on?

You might have to add a slightly diluted mixture of bleach and water directly to those areas and "try" to manipulate it around as best as possible. Not sure without actually seeing your set-up. Those, just like a waterfalls or other auxiliary areas, must have water circulation each day to push chlorinated water or they get stagnant and certainly can develop algae. Good catch!

Well, I'm feeling better about the results.

Test 6:30am
FC 23
CC 0

I lost 1.5 overnight. I assume I need to add a bit of chlorine (28oz of 10% to get up to 24) this morning before heading out to work and have my wife add some mid-day.

Question:
Since my wife does not do the testing, should I add more than 28oz this morning to get it well above 24 (say, 30 or so) and then have her bump it again mid-day? Once I'm home around 5 or so I can test and adjust if necessary. I want to try to keep it above 24 for the day.

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.