Need to SLAM my pool... 1st timer here...

Yey so I think the CC level might have been due to people swimming yesterday in the afternoon. Then there was a bunch of leaves in the pool which I got out but I think today was good.

So this morning at 5:30 I tested and I didn't lose any FC at all. The CC was 1. I went back to bed and went back out at nine and got to work. I added more chlorine to get the pool back up to 28ppm. I tore down my filter and cleaned it. I pulled my filter basket and gave it a good hosing off. I pulled off my SWG and sprayed in it. I did see some spots on it so I might need to clean it later. I put a new bag on my polaris as the old one was looking tattered. I cleaned both skimmers out and looked for the 'foam' mentioned in other posts. I guess mine doesn't have it. Then I brushed the pool and my 7 year old skimmed the leaves off the top for me. The pool is super clean now.

After all that I ran a full set of tests (except PH).
FC - 27ppm
CC - < 0.5ppm (yey)
CYA - 50 (where did it go??? It was 70 last week and I haven't lost any water)
TA - 80
CH - 325 (I need to raise this)

So at this point now that I am passing OCLT and have a low CC I am going to let my FC drop down to normal. I can definitely tell a difference in my water. It definitely sparkles now and when I brush it it stays perfectly clear. I thought before it was just from stirring up junk but I think that was a algae bloom trying to start.

My question is can I raise the CYA now back to 70 before the FC gets to normal range? I figure the PH is high again because I was running my biubbler for a couple days and that raises the PH pretty fast. Also is it ok to raise the CH right now or would it be better to wait until I have the FC into range? (I use pure calcium chloride deicer I bought from Amazon).

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck! Sounds like you have it under control!

Thanks! I hope so!

Grrrr. My CC was 1 again this morning. I am pretty sure it is junk in my main drain. I found a bunch of old leaves in there. It is the new rectangular type of drain. I can barely get down there to get the junk out.

Today I am going to try to put all the flow on my main drain and turn my pump up and try to get something in there a couple of times to stir it around. It won't be fun.

I don't know what it is called. It is rectangular and the cover is screwed on and it gets plastered to look nicer. You can see it in this photo.

448B4623-8786-4D3D-A00D-01B6AC6FA82D_zpsungyml7l.jpg

Ok so my wife got me some cheap goggles at 5 below and I figured out the attachment for my shop vac that I use for the cars fits the vacuum hose for my pool. I shut off the main drain and dove about 50 times and used my fingers and vacuum to suck as many leaves as I could. I then put the main drain on and shut off the skimmers and used a small plastic piece mainly for pouring paint and I wiggled it all over the drain until I couldn't feel any debris in the drain. I hope I got it all.

I couldn't imagine getting the 10 screws out and back in. My CC level was 1.5 after doing that for an hour. I am exhausted.

I am finally done! OCLT passed again last night and my last two CC readings were 0. I have a sparkling pool again! Thanks for the help!

The problem was that darn main drain. I am going to have to come up with a better way to maintain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2B7FDF58-FE2F-430A-AA37-9AE9AF93BB40_zps5tphuplu.jpg

78B0C861-0B3C-4F05-A9DB-5AC8489E09CE_zpsfl5v0a44.jpg

This is a lot of the junk I got out of my main drain. I took this photo the day after so it is dry but it was kind of cool to see some of the leaves were spotted from being in the pool for a long time.
51A9895B-BF86-462C-9D17-1DD908143711_zpsnyzh0k77.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! So were the leaves on top of the drain or somehow stuck in the drain?

They were inside the drain you couldn't see them. My 12 year old found them when I asked her to get one leaf that was stuck in the drain. She came up and said "there is a lot more in the drain down there."

I am officially done I think!

I do have to clean out my drain again because we got a huge storm 2 days ago and there were tons of leaves in the pool.

Here are my levels as of today (it has taken quite awhile for my FC to drop after the SLAM).
FC - 10
CC - 0.5
CYA - 70
PH - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 375

The water looks amazing! Thanks everyone...
KidsSwimming_zps9cp6crwd.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.