Any known link between cloudy water and CyA levels?

b_rent

In The Industry
Jul 17, 2016
Trevor, WI.
Could anyone tell me if there is any correlation between cloudy water and CyA levels? I have been battling cloudy water issues for over a month. I've shocked with DiChlor(56%) 3 times in that period. Chemical readings are always spot on. I've backwashed the filters when needed. I like my CyA level to stay around 30 ppm, but now over time, the level has dropped to <20ppm, and the water seems to be clearing. We have hot weather coming and I would like to add more stabilizer. Any ideas? Thank you.

The correlation exists but it is not a direct relationship. CYA helps to stabilize chlorine and should not cloud the water by itself. As CYA increases so do the levels of FC need to increase to remain as an effective sanitizer. People here often report crystal clear water with CYA levels well over 100 ppm, but need to reduce the CYA in order to maintain cost effective FC levels.

Seeing as you operate a commercial pool, your guidelines are much different and regulated so I won't/can't offer much. But I can say that the CYA is not the culprit of the clouding. Best of luck to you.

Not directly. Low CYA can cause chlorine to drop very low during the middle of the day and allow algae to establish a foothold. Often cloudy water is a first sign of algae.

Rather than doing a one time shock, follow our SLAM Process

You may also want to check the pool surface itself if this is a painted pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.