Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump and filter size?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump and filter size?

Hi just have a couple questions! First let me start off with the pool size, its 24' AG 13500 gallons, 1 1/2 hp hayward power flo lx pump, 175 lbs sand filter 1.8 ft filtration area 19". Now do i have the correct pump and filter combo? Cant seem to get my water clear! My chemical readings are
    FC 5
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 40

Really would like some help
    Pool Newbie! 24ft above ground pool. 13500 gallons, 1.5 hp hayward power flo lx pump 70 GPM, Hayward d dream line high rate sand filter 45 GPM filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump and filter size?

Welcome to TFP!

Cloudy water is usually a water chemistry problem and not a pump/filter problem. Perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is some algae brewing in the pool. If there is then SLAM to kill it. You will need a good test kit to do those. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is the best value as shown here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I see, also wanted to know if my pump and filter were compatable, would you happen to help out? My pool is on its 3rd day of doing the slam method. It has cleared up some just a little cloudy, im using just regular test strips, and oto drops. I know they arent the best, and also started the bbb method and my borate level is at 50ppm.
    Pool Newbie! 24ft above ground pool. 13500 gallons, 1.5 hp hayward power flo lx pump 70 GPM, Hayward d dream line high rate sand filter 45 GPM filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump is bigger than needed. If it is 2 speed then run it on low. A 3/4 hp 2 speed pump would be better if you are thinking about a new one. A bigger filter is always better but yours is OK. 22" or 24" would be better if you are shopping.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Despite it's name, the PowerFlo LX is not a very powerful pump. On that filter and typical above ground plumbing, the pump will probably only produce about 45 GPM. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see debris coming out of the returns.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The pump is bigger than needed. If it is 2 speed then run it on low. A 3/4 hp 2 speed pump would be better if you are thinking about a new one. A bigger filter is always better but yours is OK. 22" or 24" would be better if you are shopping.
    thanks for the advice i'm going to give it a couple more days and see if it clears up/ if not then a new pump and filter it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Despite it's name, the PowerFlo LX is not a very powerful pump. On that filter and typical above ground plumbing, the pump will probably only produce about 45 GPM. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see debris coming out of the returns.
    i used some d.e. sand filter aid and didnt see any come out of the returns. I'm going to give it a couple more days for the pool to clear up. Just started the bbb method and started the slam method going on the 4th day. pool was mustard green now its blue but cloudy. thanks for the advice

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you done a complete SLAM? Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The algae might still be alive.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater