What is the right way to use a pool heater?

nidamer

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2016
Toronto/Ontario/Canada
Hi everyone, I have a natural gas heater 250k BTU and a pool size 21k gallons. Our average summer weather temperature is in the low 70s and I do not have much direct sun hitting the pool. I am wondering what the best way to use the heater is. i.e. do I keep it on always and set it to the desired temperature (82-84F) and just let it regulate itself or do I keep it off most of the time and only turn it on when I know we plan to use the pool? Our pool usage is best described as inconsistent. Also please note that I mostly keep the pump running 12 hours a day only and usually at night. Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Do you have a solar cover? That will help a lot to hold in the heat overnight. Also, I would run the pump disputing the day rather than at night. Running the pump at night moves water through cooler pipes and cooler air. With a cover I would be inclined to keep it warm, without a cover I would heat it as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.