Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the right way to use a pool heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the right way to use a pool heater?

Hi everyone, I have a natural gas heater 250k BTU and a pool size 21k gallons. Our average summer weather temperature is in the low 70s and I do not have much direct sun hitting the pool. I am wondering what the best way to use the heater is. i.e. do I keep it on always and set it to the desired temperature (82-84F) and just let it regulate itself or do I keep it off most of the time and only turn it on when I know we plan to use the pool? Our pool usage is best described as inconsistent. Also please note that I mostly keep the pump running 12 hours a day only and usually at night. Your thoughts are much appreciated!
    In Ground Chlorine Irregular Shape (21,000 gallons), Cartridge filter Sta-Rite S7M120, Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS, Vinyl Liner , Gas Heater Raypak P-R265B-EN, Test Kit Taylor K-2006, Filled with Tap Water, NO Spa, Several large trees towering the pool, Pool and equipment several years old but look in reasonable shape

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the right way to use a pool heater?

Do you have a solar cover? That will help a lot to hold in the heat overnight. Also, I would run the pump disputing the day rather than at night. Running the pump at night moves water through cooler pipes and cooler air. With a cover I would be inclined to keep it warm, without a cover I would heat it as needed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What is the right way to use a pool heater?

Thanks DV!

In Ground Chlorine Irregular Shape (21,000 gallons), Cartridge filter Sta-Rite S7M120, Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS, Vinyl Liner , Gas Heater Raypak P-R265B-EN, Test Kit Taylor K-2006, Filled with Tap Water, NO Spa, Several large trees towering the pool, Pool and equipment several years old but look in reasonable shape