Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa jets, what's the deal, what is a 'blower' anyways?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Spa jets, what's the deal, what is a 'blower' anyways?

SO, we'll be putting in a spa soon (along with the pool)... what is the deal with the jets/ blowers/ well, just the spa in general? We obviously want it to have that bubbly frothy feeling... not, too much, but, ya know, like a spa at a hotel. I've seen these two videos on youtube...

THIS is not bueno... but THIS is... apparently according to the video information both of these spas have no blower so any thought on why they're so different? We certainly want something like the second link and the 1st would be very bad. I've heard rumors of a 'blower'... what is it and what does it do?

Our spa is 7x9 and will have 7 jets in it... I guess the layout is also something to think about as well eh?

Pool-15x31', Spa-7x9', depth 3.5-6', HP Pentair Whisper Flow pump/motor, Intelliflo 8-160, 4-to-8 speed, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear capacity filter (upgraded to 400,000BTU stackless heater). Stacked stone- Autumn Rose Classic, tile- Ridgeline Blue Slate, coping- Turning Leaf Quartzite. Start date 7/12/16! Progress thread

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Spa jets, what's the deal, what is a 'blower' anyways?

More often than not, blowers are a crutch that pool builders use because they really don't know how to build a spa without one.

If you want to build a spa without a blower, like mine, then you just need to make sure the PB uses a large air pipe 2.5"+ without too many bends and you need a Hartford loop at the spa wall to prevent the air pipe from filling with water. If you do that, there is a good chance you won't need a blower. Blowers are very loud and use lots of energy so I wouldn't want one. How long will the air pipe be?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner