Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Reading

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Reading

Hi Everyone,

So things have been going fine all season, I test FC & PH regularly, only use liquid chlorine (I have done great with the Wal-Mart pool essential), test TA & CH periodically and everything been great. I decided to test CYA this weekend and I am getting no reading, meaning its below 20????? My chlorine does not appear to be getting used up abnormally fast, what is going on? What should I do? As always, thank you in advance for your help!

Adam
    17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Reading

Adam,

I guess my first question would be what are your targets for FC? You are fairly well north, so not the blazing sun our friends in Florida, Texas and Arizona face so maybe your daily loss to UV is not bad.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

At the beginning of season I got CYA to around 50, so target had been 6; do I need to add more stabilizer? Is there any other explanation?
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can try the R-7065 CYA (50 ppm) standard solution to rule out any problems with your R-0013. It is basically pool water with a CYA of around 50 ppm.
    Have you had a lot of rain? Splash out from kiddos in the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the R-7065 because I do want to rule out a problem with R-0013???

Not a lot of rain but yes a lot of splash out, I have to add water almost weekly, did that do it?
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Here is link to 2 ounce size of R-7065 TFTestkits.net
    Use it like pool water mix with R-0013, and you should get a reading of 50 ppm (give or take 5 ppm