Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So when I opened the pool back in May, my TA was low (50 or 60). I raised it with baking soda to 70. I've been doing straight BBB since then, and I've noticed the TA never changes from 70. I've probably used 5 lbs or more of dry acid, which should have lowered it by 12. In addition, I have a lot of aeration from a fountain and have backwashed quite a bit (all of which should have lowered it even more). Is this an expected behavior? How are these carbonates/bicarbonates magically getting replenished in my pool?

FC: 7
CYA: 50
TA: 70
pH: 7.4

OK I tested the fill water out of curiosity. The TA is 40. So it is picking up some alkalinity from the fill water. Also I wonder what the alkalinity of rainwater is? I'm not sure how the low alkalinity fill water can keep the pool right at 70. Hmm.

OK I tested the fill water out of curiosity. The TA is 40. So it is picking up some alkalinity from the fill water. Also I wonder what the alkalinity of rainwater is? I'm not sure how the low alkalinity fill water can keep the pool right at 70. Hmm.

Rainwater has no alkalinity unless it has run off of some other source into your pool.

I'm guessing the TA of 40 in your tap water is doing it. Consider yourself lucky. My tapwater has 250ppm TA. I try to avoid filling with my tap water because I definitely get a rise in my TA when I use it much. But I can only rely on rain so often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.