Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA never changes

1. Back To Top    #1

TA never changes

So when I opened the pool back in May, my TA was low (50 or 60). I raised it with baking soda to 70. I've been doing straight BBB since then, and I've noticed the TA never changes from 70. I've probably used 5 lbs or more of dry acid, which should have lowered it by 12. In addition, I have a lot of aeration from a fountain and have backwashed quite a bit (all of which should have lowered it even more). Is this an expected behavior? How are these carbonates/bicarbonates magically getting replenished in my pool?

FC: 7
    CYA: 50
    TA: 70
    pH: 7.4
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA never changes

Have you tested your fill water? That is a likely source.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm on city water. I haven't tested it. That seems plausible though.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

OK I tested the fill water out of curiosity. The TA is 40. So it is picking up some alkalinity from the fill water. Also I wonder what the alkalinity of rainwater is? I'm not sure how the low alkalinity fill water can keep the pool right at 70. Hmm.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by C3Cl3N3O3 View Post
    OK I tested the fill water out of curiosity. The TA is 40. So it is picking up some alkalinity from the fill water. Also I wonder what the alkalinity of rainwater is? I'm not sure how the low alkalinity fill water can keep the pool right at 70. Hmm.
    Rainwater has no alkalinity unless it has run off of some other source into your pool.

I'm guessing the TA of 40 in your tap water is doing it. Consider yourself lucky. My tapwater has 250ppm TA. I try to avoid filling with my tap water because I definitely get a rise in my TA when I use it much. But I can only rely on rain so often.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed