Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Kit and Phosphates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Kit and Phosphates?

I'm looking for an alternative to the testing strips that I've been using. Is the TFTestkits TF-100 the best "bang for the buck" kit? Is this kit more effective than the strips?

Secondly, after noticing I had some cloudiness, I decided to bring a sample to a local pool supply store for testing. My salt reading was good at 3,100 and everything else seemed fine except Cyanuric acid which was low based on the strips. The pool supply store confirmed these test results but also mentioned the phosphate level was very high (1,000).

After treating with stabilizer, they recommended treating with PhosFree to lower the level. They also mentioned a couple of capfuls of Natural Chemistry's Triple Action Perfect Weekly for weekly maintenance.

After treating with stabilizer and Perfect Weekly yesterday morning, the pool is crystal clear and the strip readings seem fine. So today, I added 1/2 dosage of Phosfree. I started poking around and it seems there are mixed views on phosphates. I also noticed that my strips and the T-100 don't test for phosphate levels which I'd prefer to do myself.

So I'm wondering . . do folks monitor phosphate levels? If so, what do you use to accurately test? Is this even necessary? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance-
    16'x40' Viking Rectangular fiberglass pool (depth 3' 6" to 8' ; ~ 27,000 gallons); Hayward AquaRite salt system; Hayward cartridge filters and propane heaters
    Paramount Vantage In Floor Cleaning system with Buzztop Channel drain
    9' x 10' Viking Raised Spa with Spillover - (depth 3' 4")

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing Kit and Phosphates?

Do not go back to be robbed at the pool store. You have the best possible test kit in the entire pool world, use it and you will never have any need to add magic potions to your pool.

Oh, and phosphate removers are one of the biggest removers of cash from your wallet while not doing anything for your pool water. In fact, you could pour a glass of iced tea in your pool and burn a $20 bill and still be farther ahead.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Phosphate levels are not relevant in a pool that has the proper amount of sanitizer. The folks at the pool store,p will tell your phosphates are algae food.....

I think the best analogy I heard lately was what happens if you have a wonderful buffet, all the food and drink that you like in a room filled with chlorine gas. How long will you last standing at the buffet?

We believe simple is better. Accurate testing followed up with proper sanitation makes your pool Trouble Free.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    You have the best possible test kit in the entire pool world, use it and you will never have any need to add magic potions to your pool.
    Thanks for the head's up all. I assume you're referring to the strips?? So no need to go with a TF-100 or similar?
    16'x40' Viking Rectangular fiberglass pool (depth 3' 6" to 8' ; ~ 27,000 gallons); Hayward AquaRite salt system; Hayward cartridge filters and propane heaters
    Paramount Vantage In Floor Cleaning system with Buzztop Channel drain
    9' x 10' Viking Raised Spa with Spillover - (depth 3' 4")

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lpaul626 View Post
    Thanks for the head's up all. I assume you're referring to the strips?? So no need to go with a TF-100 or similar?
    I think he thought you had a TF-100. Yes, test strips are better known as "guess strips". You need an accurate test kit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Absolutely get the TF-100 (and speedstir, trust me). You will love it.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

7. Back To Top    #7

Woops, yes, I mis-read that you HAD a TF-100.

The strips are only good at filling up trash bins.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Woops, yes, I mis-read that you HAD a TF-100.

The strips are only good at filling up trash bins.
    Don't forget they are also good for confusing pool owners and helping pool store sales!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach