Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFCI Switches Keep Blowing

1. Back To Top    #1

GFCI Switches Keep Blowing

Iím having a problem with my pool light. Every time the timer tries to turn on the light, the GFCI switch blows. I reset the GFCI switch, reset the timer and manually turned on the pool light and it would work again. It would go off at the appointed time but then not come on the next day as the switch was blown by then. A week or so later, the pump started doing the exact same thing and blew the switch - I did the same resetting steps for a few days and the issue continues. I am now bypassing the timers and re-starting GFCI each time to get the equipment to come on. It now goes off when it eventually trips the switch, sometimes a few times a day. The salt water chlorinator is now tripping it's GFCI switch as well. This switch is not on a timer at all, if that makes a difference. Any ideas on what is going on?
    15,000 gal 14x28 IG vinyl liner pool - Hyrda Pools, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 1.5 Pro pump, Aquarite 1500 salt water generator. Install June 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GFCI Switches Keep Blowing

Are these GFCI breakers or outlets? Are they the same GFCI?

Anyway on the facts you provide I would get a good electrician look at it. Since this is less than a year old I old call the pool builder and have him send out the electrician who did the original work.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes are you talking about GFCI circuit breakers in your electrical panel? Either way in my opinion especially if you are having more than one problem with breakers or plugs tripping you have a grounding issue, short circuit, or the neutral is tied directly into the ground. Water and electricity are a DEADLY mix extra especially a swimming pool. You need a qualified / licensed electrician NOW. Do not swim in the pool until you get it repaired.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Are these GFCI breakers or outlets? Are they the same GFCI?

Anyway on the facts you provide I would get a good electrician look at it. Since this is less than a year old I old call the pool builder and have him send out the electrician who did the original work.
    Yes, it is the GFCI breakers inside the panel. Each switch is labeled light, pump & salt water generator.
    15,000 gal 14x28 IG vinyl liner pool - Hyrda Pools, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 1.5 Pro pump, Aquarite 1500 salt water generator. Install June 2015.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the GFCI breakers inside the electrical panel are the ones tripping. I have a separate panel that has the main electricity shut off. If I were to shut this one down, would we be safe to swim until I can get an electrician out there?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would still wait and not swim until I got it checked out. You could have a short on your ground coming from another power source.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

7. Back To Top    #7

An energized ground wire would generally not be tripping a GFCI.

Power off at the breakers should be fine to swim.

Call an electrician.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall