Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best time to buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best time to buy?

When is the bet time to buy new pool equipment? Now after the bulk of the new pools are built and existing ones repaired? Late fall? Early spring? Black Friday? My Intex swg is getting tired, as is my 25+ year old Jacuzzi sand filter - plus it is too small. Everything is still working - so far - but I'd rather start next spring with some fresh gear that won't be as much maintenance. TFP has reduced the weekly stuff to almost nothing. New equipment might reduce it even more!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best time to buy?

Target and Academy often put their Intex stuff on sale later in summer to move it out. A friend got an SWG for half price at Target a couple of years ago.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, pooldv. I'm thinking about upgrading a bit. Tagelus 50D, CircuPool or Intellichlor. The Intex was a low cost experiment to see if it was a direction that I wanted to go. A very successful experiment, I might add. The Intex works, but it is time to move up. Any other suggestions as to when?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

4 years ago I got my Intex sand filter at nearlY half price in August. I am starting to watch for sales now, as the pump I bought is a bit undersized for the pool I have now.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think that regular pool stores will clearance out pool equipment like the big box stores do with their seasonal merchandise.

Sunplay.com and INYO Pools are good online sources for pool equipment. Get on their mailing list and they'll send you some sales and coupons.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I have found some very good pricing available on ebay during the winter/spring season likely from over stocked pool stores, pool builders, or those that are closing. Of course warranty may be limited.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Either buy early or late, and be ready to pay on the spot. Gaming this is easy with pools because you're playing a long game- you're going to have it for years and you generally don't need any particular item today.

Clearance can work unless you're looking for something specific (unless that specific thing is exactly what they're overstocked with) and if you're willing to play chicken and maybe wind up empty handed. We bought our pool in January, with May delivery. Got a smoking deal because they've got rent and payroll in January and no money coming in, and didn't have to actually get the pool until spring when their sales were taking off.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Timing is everything...lightning took out the Intex swg last night. Fortunately the brand new OptiFlo wasn't damaged! So today ordered the CircuPool RJ20 Plus for the price of an RJ16 Plus and an extra dollar. And free shipping. That should be a major improvement. Tomorrow is the end of the promotion. Timing, timing....