First pool project almost completed. (Pictures!!!)

Jun 9, 2016
Gig Harbor, WA
Hey everyone,
This is my first post, though I've been registered for a little while and learning as much as possible through these forums. This is our first pool attempt so we are trying to do everything possible to increase our chances of success. After a lot of measuring in the backyard and searching pool sizes, we decided to go with an 18x9. I decided right off that I was going to replace the stock filter of any pool I bought, so I decided to search craigslist until I found one that looked promising. It was a Coleman 18X9X48 used one season and stored in the garage over the winter. Also came with all parts and loads of additional chemicals and pool toys/accessories. In the end I scored this pool and ordered a new 3,000GPH intex sandfilter pump and 15,000Gal SWG for a grand total of $550. The majority of our spare time this past month has been preparing the ground for the pool as you can see in the album I'm linking to this post. We also created a small patio area which will eventually be where we relocate the pump and equipment too and run hard plumbing to that area. For now the equipment is on the ground next to the pool inlet/outlet. We're now within an hour of being full then I can backwash and get the filter going and add the pool salt. One question... the SWG instructions state to run the filter 24hrs following adding the salt, but the pump instructions state not to run more than 12 consecutive hours. Both are intex parts, so which should I follow? After initial startup I should only have to run the pump 4hrs per day and SWG 2-3hrs daily. Will the initial 24 hour run be ok on the pump? Thanks and be sure to check out the pictures!
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxcy8KYPw3VXUWZqZ3k3dUNRbHM

Poolboy

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! Yes, running the pump 24 hours will be fine.

Just FYI, many folks can't, won't or don't want to click out of the site to view pics. Most folks create a Photobucket account (free), upload the pics there, copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in their post. This will embed the pic in the thread so people can see them without leaving the forum. Not sure if your image host offers this ability.

Thanks alot, it all took about 5 weeks working hard on weekends. I was pretty motivated to get the retaining wall completed once I had dug down 20" right next to pier blocks supporting my deck. We're happy with how it came out. Eventually I'm going to relocate the pump and SWG to the paver area you see in the pictures with hard plumbing. For now I just have it running down next to the pool. Now if we can get our water levels set we can actually use it!