SLAM with sand filter

tdp

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2015
Suburban Philadelphia
I know the three criteria for passing the OCLT, but have read many places on TFP
that a sand filter can take up to a week to clear cloudy water. Doesn't that mean you may be SLAMing for a week when you don't need to? Hard to lose an extra week of swimming in a place where this is prime swimming time. I know some have said you can swim up to SLAM level, but no way I'm putting my skin/bathing suit/exercise equipment in FC 28.

Since I don't want to put DE in my filter (flow rate is low enough as is), could this be a time when floc might work?

FC 3.5
CC 0
CYA 70
pH 7.5

If the flow rate is too low maybe it is time to do a deep clean, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter DE is only added to increase the pressure by 1 psi, it shouldn't reduce the flow substantially.

I know it seems crazy to swim with FC at 28 but we swam every day last summer for a week with FC at 28 and CYA at 70 and it wasfine. The kids didn't even notice, no eye trouble, no nothing, just like any other day. FC at 28 with CYA at 70 is less harsh than FC at 1 ppm with no CYA.

I don't know anything about floc, I've never used it.

If the flow rate is too low maybe it is time to do a deep clean, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter DE is only added to increase the pressure by 1 psi, it shouldn't reduce the flow substantially.

I know it seems crazy to swim with FC at 28 but we swam every day last summer for a week with FC at 28 and CYA at 70 and it wasfine. The kids didn't even notice, no eye trouble, no nothing, just like any other day. FC at 28 with CYA at 70 is less harsh than FC at 1 ppm with no CYA.

I don't know anything about floc, I've never used it.

Wow, sounds like maybe I could try swimming at 28 FC then. Maybe :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.