Hayward Power-Flo just buzzing

Jul 17, 2016
pasadena
Greetings all, long time reader first time poster.
So last week i hard plumbed my intex pool to use a hand me down Hayward Power -Flo pump and DE filter. Hooked it all up and fired it up yesterday and she ran like a dream for 6 hours. This morning i went out to turn the pump on and now it just hums but no turning. I found that i if i leave it plugged in and let it hum for about 60 seconds it trips the breaker. I also saw a tad bit of smoke from the pump housing.
The motor does not have a capacitor, and i wont try to name the parts it has because i have no idea.
What would cause this? Thanks in advance!

Btw impeller spins but no flat head on the back to try to bump start it

Attachments

• 20160717_144728.jpg
    20160717_144728.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yes the white/yellow plastic with the copper. The spring flap is the governor and when the motor is stopped, it pushes up on the contacts so the starter winding is engaged. If they are corroded, the starter winding may not be getting power. However, if the contacts are good, then the winding itself may be bad.

So took it apart and cleaned all the contacts. Windings and shaft still turn smoothly. The metal flap is pushing and engaging the centrifugal switch when off, but nothing is separating those contacts when power is put to the pump. Aslo i tried pushing that flap down (separating the centrifugal contacts) while someone else plugged it in,and nothing. Any more suggestions? Thanks

You can try turning the governor with power on using a stick. Be careful though. If it starts rotating, it is the starter winding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bad starter winding. But check all the wires that connect to the terminal block and centrifugal switch to make sure none are loose.

If still no good, then I would say you need a new motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.