Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Power-Flo just buzzing

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Power-Flo just buzzing

Greetings all, long time reader first time poster.
    So last week i hard plumbed my intex pool to use a hand me down Hayward Power -Flo pump and DE filter. Hooked it all up and fired it up yesterday and she ran like a dream for 6 hours. This morning i went out to turn the pump on and now it just hums but no turning. I found that i if i leave it plugged in and let it hum for about 60 seconds it trips the breaker. I also saw a tad bit of smoke from the pump housing.
    The motor does not have a capacitor, and i wont try to name the parts it has because i have no idea.
    What would cause this? Thanks in advance!

Btw impeller spins but no flat head on the back to try to bump start it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Intexmoder; 07-17-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Add image

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Power-Flo just buzzing

Check the centrifugal switch contacts (copper Y) to make sure they are not corroded.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that the plastic V at the bottom or the black circle piece at the top. Also should the spring loaded flap that the plastic V is up against be closed or open before start?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes the white/yellow plastic with the copper. The spring flap is the governor and when the motor is stopped, it pushes up on the contacts so the starter winding is engaged. If they are corroded, the starter winding may not be getting power. However, if the contacts are good, then the winding itself may be bad.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I'm out of town for a couple days so the intex pump is running for now, and ill check that out and update thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

So took it apart and cleaned all the contacts. Windings and shaft still turn smoothly. The metal flap is pushing and engaging the centrifugal switch when off, but nothing is separating those contacts when power is put to the pump. Aslo i tried pushing that flap down (separating the centrifugal contacts) while someone else plugged it in,and nothing. Any more suggestions? Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Unfortunately, I think the next step is a new motor.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Was afraid of that, but also kinda figured. I just hate not knowing why it wont turn over

9. Back To Top    #9

You can try turning the governor with power on using a stick. Be careful though. If it starts rotating, it is the starter winding.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Bumped it and it fired right up, what now?
    I'd rather not bump start this thing every day lol

11. Back To Top    #11

Bad starter winding. But check all the wires that connect to the terminal block and centrifugal switch to make sure none are loose.

If still no good, then I would say you need a new motor.
    Mark