going from green to white oily looking substance on surface

Camr

Jul 8, 2016
Forest city nc
Thank you for this website. I was able to take the pool from very green at opening in mid May to totally clear today using the forum and resources on this website. This is the first year we have struggled to get to clear water. We got to cloudy after opening then upgraded the pump and added thee ozone treatment. Then I used the wrong algaecide, then I used the wrong bleach - the bottle said regular but it was not regular. We scooped foam 3-4x per day and cleaned the filter daily. We dumped about 6in. of water per day. The cell will generate at only 5% and we have a new cell on the way so we have been adding bleach daily. The entire pool is in full sun about 2 hours per day otherwise only sections of the pool are in full sun. Here is where we are and I'm stuck. I'm still getting this white oily looking substance on the top of the pool.

The white is not suntan oil or anything like that since no one has been in the pool for over 2 weeks because of the foam.

This morning the levels were FC 2, CC 4, FC 6, CYA 45 Alk 80 PH 7.5 salt level 3.3 - yes I have purchased the TF 100 kit and now have the title of mad scientist. Not sure if I am doing this correctly but the numbers look pretty good I guess.

The water is very clear. If the pump runs on 3 there is not any foam or white oily looking substance. If we put the pump to 4 - maximum, the white comes out and only a very little almost nothing for foam.

1. is it safe to swim if we keep the pump on lower levels (I can't bring myself to get into a pool that has a white film)

2. What is the final step on this to get us to a routine

3. any suggestions when we go on vacation? I have someone checking on things daily.

Welcome to TFP!

Remember, chlorine is your friend. You need to use the correct bleach (don't feel bad, many have had this problem), no more algecide and SLAM Process the pool.

As to vacation, your CYA can handle some pucks if you don't have the SWG back running by then or your house/pool,sitter could add bleach each day. Your choice.

Resist the temptation to add floculants or clarifiers as this can make your problems worse.

OK Thank you.
We subscribe to the 3 Bs plain bleach, borax and baking soda nothing else this has been an ordeal.

Are the levels too dangerous to swim? Then SLAM later. I have not been in the pool since we opened it. Understand if you don't want to answer this question.

If not, we will SLAM and hopefully swim when it is ready

THANK YOU for this site.

We subscribe to the 3 Bs plain bleach, borax and baking soda nothing else this has been an ordeal.

Are the levels too dangerous to swim? Then SLAM later. I have not been in the pool since we opened it.

If not, we will SLAM and hopefully swim when it is ready

THANK YOU for this site.
Im confused.... You say you follow BBB, nothing else but you used algecide and have added an ozone system. Both of these are unnecessary in a properly maintained outdoor pool.

Cloudy water after an algae incident = SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.