Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: _Eric_

1. Back To Top    #1

_Eric_

Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a home with a pool. We've never had a pool before. My dad grew up with a pool in the late 50s and early 60s and swore he would never own his own based on the amount of work involved. Things have progressed more than a little bit since then I'd guess. I've been perusing the forums for the past week and have found a ton of great information. I'm going to convert the current setup to a saltwater chlorine generator, specifically the Jandy TruClear. The previous owners were hands off and paid to have the pool maintained weekly, 52 weeks a year. That said, I had the water tested and the numbers were off:

• TC: 9.3
    • FC: 9.3
    • pH: 7.0
    • TA: 45
    • CH: 75

I'm a Comp Sci guy by nature, but worked in chemical plants for almost a decade. I think I have a solid understanding of the chemistry theoretically. I know theory and practice deviate from each other based on prior experience. I look forward to chatting with you all!
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: _Eric_

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

You'll enjoy using your own reliable test kit. Sadly pool stores and other residential testing options haven't proved to be consistent enough for good pool operation.

Take a look at Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The most recommended initial purchase is TFTestkits.net
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by _Eric_ View Post
    Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a home with a pool. We've never had a pool before. My dad grew up with a pool in the late 50s and early 60s and swore he would never own his own based on the amount of work involved. Things have progressed more than a little bit since then I'd guess. I've been perusing the forums for the past week and have found a ton of great information. I'm going to convert the current setup to a saltwater chlorine generator, specifically the Jandy TruClear. The previous owners were hands off and paid to have the pool maintained weekly, 52 weeks a year. That said, I had the water tested and the numbers were off:

• TC: 9.3
    • FC: 9.3
    • pH: 7.0
    • TA: 45
    • CH: 75

I'm a Comp Sci guy by nature, but worked in chemical plants for almost a decade. I think I have a solid understanding of the chemistry theoretically. I know theory and practice deviate from each other based on prior experience. I look forward to chatting with you all!
    Welcome!

As mentioned, you really need your own proper test kit.

Those test results are missing one of the most important levels of all, CYA. Without that result you will not know what your proper FC level is.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Be sure to have a read through Pool School, especially:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Pool Chemistry

Great to have you with us!

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and purchased the TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir (even though I have a Fisher Scientific stir plate, the SpeedStir seems portable and more useful for small volumes), and AquaCheck Salt Test strips.
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You're gonna like it! And it will pay off quickly compared to having a pool store or service muck you around. Great to hear
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners