Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak -- Emergency Or Not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak -- Emergency Or Not?

I'm starting a new thread...just seeking some guidance on how much time is too much to wait on fixing a leak. I started noticing the pool losing more water than usual around mid week...and confirmed that it's leaking by end of week. Unfortunately I couldn't get an assistance in on Friday, so here it is on Saturday and the pool is still leaking about an inch to an inch and a half a day. Based on what I've read here that's 1000 to 1500 gallons?

I've walked the perimeter and can't find the water that's leaving...and can't find any flaws in the liner that I can even test with food coloring.

Given that it's going to be another 36+ hours before I can even dream of getting anyone to come help...how long is too long to let the pool just leak before I potentially compromise the stuff under the deck...the pool or both. Or am I over-reacting?

I've also read that draining the pool with a vinyl liner is not a good move either, so I'm caught between two bad choices potentially.

Please help?

Thank you!
    Gene

16 x 32 Inground Pool, 8 Feet x 3 Feet, Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Single Speed Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak -- Emergency Or Not?

According to PoolMath 1" of water in your pool is 320 gallons. It rains lots more than that when it rains. I think it will be fine.

When draining a vinyl pool it is recommended to leave a foot of water in the shallow end to hold the liner in place to prevent shifting or shrinking.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Leak -- Emergency Or Not?

Ok. Thank you. Kinda like when the MD tests you for something and you feel every little pain--sure that you have the disease----I'm now noticing every indention in the side or bottom of the pool and am making the connection that surely the bottom of the pool is washing out in the flood

I will "stand down" until I can seek professional help on Monday. I am going to drop it far enough to completely eliminate the skimmer as even a possibility. The way it's leaking that's easy! Just wait an hour or so! ��

Thank you again. Having a voice of reason is reassuring in times like this.
    Gene

16 x 32 Inground Pool, 8 Feet x 3 Feet, Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Single Speed Pump