Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to lower PH without lowering TA ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Collge Station

How to lower PH without lowering TA ?

I have a new plaster pool about month old. First couple of weeks used lots of acid to lower the TA and finally got it where wanted. Took about 7 gallons of acid.

Anyhow I find myself having to add acid now just because of PH. PH creeps up to 7.7-7.8 range and every couple of days I find myself adding pint or 2 of acid. I don't mind doing this but am very worried I'll end up dropping the TA.

So how to drop the PH without dropping TA ?

FC 5.0

CC 0
    TC 5.0
    PH 7.7
    CH 170
    TA 90
    CYA 40
    25K gal, plaster, 1.0 jandy spa pump, Two 1.5 gallon pool pumps, DE Filter, Glass Tile sheer descent and spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Glendale, AZ

Re: How to lower PH without lowering TA ?

Likely your pH will keeping rising for a while, adding acid will lower TA. Until your plaster fully cures, you will have to keep an eye on both pH and the TA. Finding a sweet spot on the TA will help.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

It is OK to let your TA drop down as low as 60, even 50 if you PH remains stable. If not then you can raise TA with baking soda without raising PH much.

More handy info about chems here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

With our new pool walmart baking soda was a staple for the first 6 month or so. I was going through 4 pounds every 3 to 4 weeks.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.