Really hope i didnt just screw it up!

Bringing Chlorine Down??

c6f2cb2297ff8e56474157d3b182abc2.jpg

My chlorine is still ridiculously high! I have not added chlorine since shocking it yesterday morning, obviously. We live in Florida, have pretty much no shade in the pool area. But the chlorine is still to high to swim. None of this makes sense to me! I was sure in this Florida heat, plus the added down pour of rain over the past few days, that i would have been lower by now! My children are itching to get in the pool. It seems we have spent the whole summer fighting with the pool rather then enjoying it :(

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Re: Bringing Chlorine Down??

Can you tell us what your CYA reading is please? Not a pool store test though, one with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 if you have it? While you may think your FC is way too high, it may actually be fine based on your current CYA. Please see the Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my signature.

Okay, fair enough. :) Well, you DID come to the right place. Ideal pool advice without the cost. But you do need to know what your CYA (stabilizer) level is. Here is the link I was asking you to see in my sig: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Hope that helps.

Im just going to order the TF-100 from amazon. I'm not comfortable letting my young children swim if i dont know its safe, and by the test i do have, it says no way.

Thank you for the link, even if it all makes no sense to me yet haha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Invest in the proper test kit .... it will save you money in the future.

Can you list exactly what all you have added to the pool recently? It looks like your FC is still very high.

c6f2cb2297ff8e56474157d3b182abc2.jpg

My chlorine is still ridiculously high! I have not added chlorine since shocking it yesterday morning, obviously. We live in Florida, have pretty much no shade in the pool area. But the chlorine is still to high to swim. None of this makes sense to me! I was sure in this Florida heat, plus the added down pour of rain over the past few days, that i would have been lower by now! My children are itching to get in the pool. It seems we have spent the whole summer fighting with the pool rather then enjoying it :(

Now maybe you will understand why we push you so hard to get a real test kit. The 5 way kits, the test strips, the pool store tests, they all stink.

If you truly want to make your pool safe and easy to maintain, you'll spend the $70 and get the right test kit. That $70 will pay for itself every month that you don't have to add some magic pool store potion.

Re: This cant be right...

Im looking into a Poolmaster 22265 5-way test kit... would that work? I cant convince myself to spend $70+ on a TF-100

I don't think we need to keep piling on about buying the test kit, but I would like to explain why we feel a good quality test kit is important.

I understand your reluctance to buy the TF-100, however a high quality test kit is an investment in the life of your pool. If you look at the testing block from the Poolmaster kit, which is almost the same as the testing block you have in your photo, this will only test FC up to 5ppm. Part of the problem you are having now is that you can't accurately test higher than 5ppm. Since it is orange you know it is high, but you don't know how high. The TF-100 has the FAS/DPD chlorine test that allows you to test FC values up to 50ppm accurately. Another reason to consider the TF 100 is the CYA test, which you do not have and the Poolmaster does not have either. Depending on which type of chlorine you use you will need to keep an eye on the CYA level. If it gets too high the only solution is to partially drain and refill the pool. The TF 50 is a smaller version of the TF 100 with the same tests and costs a bit less.

If you don't want to invest in the complete kit at this time I would urge you to at least invest in the FAS/DPD test and use it along with the pH test your current test kit has.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.