Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you block water at Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you block water at Skimmer

On an Above Ground Pool, I need to clean the basket at the pump.
    I tried to block the incoming water from the skimmer but cannot do it very well.
    I do a very good job of making mud puddles though!!
    Do I have to put a valve on the line coming from the skimmer?
    suggestion? Pictures of your setup Please!!!
    18'x33'x52" Sams Club version of Swim-n-Play Ridgeview 14K Gallon AGP, 19" SandFilter, 35 GPM 1HP pump
    TF-100 Kit, My other Fun is a Victory CrossRoads American Made Bike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you block water at Skimmer

Yes, mud puddle maker, you need a valve between your skimmer and your pump.

Maybe the Intex plunger valve will work on that pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Typically in AGPs you want a shut off valve on your skimmer and return lines so that you can open the pump basket without draining the pool. Another technique is to go and buy some drain plugs and temporarily plug the pipes from the pool side. One typically used these types of plug when they close/winterize their pools.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, valves on the inlets and outlets.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

5. Back To Top    #5

My Lines are 1 1/4 should the ID of the Valve be at least 1 1/4 inch or better?
    18'x33'x52" Sams Club version of Swim-n-Play Ridgeview 14K Gallon AGP, 19" SandFilter, 35 GPM 1HP pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Please take a pic of your existing plumbing. It will be easier to help you.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm pretty sure the Intex plunger valves are 1-1/4
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

9. Back To Top    #9

I want pictures because if your skimmer is threaded inside, then the easiest thing to do is get about 6" of PVC, cement that to a threaded male adapter and screw that into the skimmer so it acts like a snorkel. As long as the top of the pipe is above the water line, the water can't drain.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crokett View Post
    I want pictures because if your skimmer is threaded inside, then the easiest thing to do is get about 6" of PVC, cement that to a threaded male adapter and screw that into the skimmer so it acts like a snorkel. As long as the top of the pipe is above the water line, the water can't drain.
    And if your skimmer is not threaded, stick one end of your vaccum hose in it, and leave the other above the waterline.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

11. Back To Top    #11

My old AGP we did what phonedave suggested ^^^. Also put the filter into backwash mode so water doesn't flow back from the return.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

You can use a skimmer plug.

Personally, I prefer valves.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

13. Back To Top    #13

1 1/2" valve/union is what I used. It can be disassembled like a union, and is integrated with a ball valve. The tightness of the union connection determines the effort required to turn the valve off/on. I have it tightened to where the ball valve is easily turned on/off. No leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 26 X 52
    pump/filter that came with it + 24" Hayward S244T sand filter + Intex SWG & Hayward widemouth skimmer. Looking to upgrade pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

We now have a valve at the pump to close the skimmer but that is a distance of 10 feet to walk. So I'm lazy and I get my arm wet putting in a plug. LOL
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Added 1 1/2 to the in/out hoses. Only cost $22 and 20 min.
    Works great.

IMG_0498[1].jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

Good job!!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    Good job!!
    ditto
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

18. Back To Top    #18

Here is a picture of my set-up. I like to be able to shut of the water at the pool if I have to work on anything.IMG_0649.jpg
    Above ground 22 X 52 Intex pool with Columbia 22 inch High performance sand filter with 2 Hp pump. Intex krystal clear saltwater system and ozone. Installed wide mouth skimmer. Pool is plumed with 1-1/2" PVC. Install Curve in-pool steps model CCX-AG. Pool was installed on a sand base with 1-1/2" blue Styrofoam.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by wheelerjlw View Post
    Here is a picture of my set-up. I like to be able to shut of the water at the pool if I have to work on anything.IMG_0649.jpg
    Hey wheelerjlw, where did you get that inline basket?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    Hey wheelerjlw, where did you get that inline basket?
    The leaf basket came attached to my pump. I relocated it so I could clean it out easier. My pump/ sand filter is a Columbia bought off eBay.

Above ground 22 X 52 Intex pool with Columbia 22 inch High performance sand filter with 2 Hp pump. Intex krystal clear saltwater system and ozone. Installed wide mouth skimmer. Pool is plumed with 1-1/2" PVC. Install Curve in-pool steps model CCX-AG. Pool was installed on a sand base with 1-1/2" blue Styrofoam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast