Chlorine Drop Test

gemphx

Jul 16, 2016
Phoenix, az
I am performing a chlorine drop test (Taylor Test Kit). I added my powder and got a nice pink color. Directions say add the R-871 one drop at a time until water turns clear again. Well, the pink color is gone, but the water is nowhere near clear, more like milk, and I have added up to 50 drops so far . Do I need to just keep going with the drops, or I have done something wrong?

Once the pink is gone you are fine. From the Extended Test Kit Directions page:
In rare cases the sample may turn cloudy. If this happens the test is still valid. You add drops until the sample turns cloudy white, i.e. the red/pink is completely gone, rather than waiting for it to turn clear.

Also for future reference, feel free to sue the 10 ML sample to save on reagents.
10ml sample plus one heaping scoop of powder. Multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.

Happens to me all the time. Seems to be more cloudy the warmer it is outside. I keep my kit in an outdoor storage bin. Not sure if reagents react differently based on their own temperature. On cooler days, the water returns to clear.

Yes, he meant use, not sue. Use the 10 ml sample to save on reagents
Also for future reference, feel free to use the 10 ML sample to save on reagents.
10ml sample plus one heaping scoop of powder. Multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.

Test kits should be stored inside in the AC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.