Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Drop Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Drop Test

I am performing a chlorine drop test (Taylor Test Kit). I added my powder and got a nice pink color. Directions say add the R-871 one drop at a time until water turns clear again. Well, the pink color is gone, but the water is nowhere near clear, more like milk, and I have added up to 50 drops so far . Do I need to just keep going with the drops, or I have done something wrong?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Drop Test

Once the pink is gone you are fine. From the Extended Test Kit Directions page:
    In rare cases the sample may turn cloudy. If this happens the test is still valid. You add drops until the sample turns cloudy white, i.e. the red/pink is completely gone, rather than waiting for it to turn clear.
    Also for future reference, feel free to sue the 10 ML sample to save on reagents.
    10ml sample plus one heaping scoop of powder. Multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Happens to me all the time. Seems to be more cloudy the warmer it is outside. I keep my kit in an outdoor storage bin. Not sure if reagents react differently based on their own temperature. On cooler days, the water returns to clear.
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks - when I searched the site I did find the extended test section.
    Phoenix, AZ; 11730 gallon, IG plaster (14 years old), sand filter, Taylor T-100 test
    full, all day AZ sun

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rubone74 View Post
    Happens to me all the time. Seems to be more cloudy the warmer it is outside. I keep my kit in an outdoor storage bin. Not sure if reagents react differently based on their own temperature. On cooler days, the water returns to clear.
    I am not sure how much heat some of the reagents can take. I keep mine on a top shelf inside the house.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Once the pink is gone you are fine. From the Extended Test Kit Directions page:

Also for future reference, feel free to sue the 10 ML sample to save on reagents.
    What does this last line mean? Is there a typo here?
    Phoenix, AZ; 11730 gallon, IG plaster (14 years old), sand filter, Taylor T-100 test
    full, all day AZ sun

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, he meant use, not sue. Use the 10 ml sample to save on reagents
    Also for future reference, feel free to use the 10 ML sample to save on reagents.
    10ml sample plus one heaping scoop of powder. Multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.
    Test kits should be stored inside in the AC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Use the 10ml line and divide by .5....also one scoop of powder works just fine
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits