May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
I did some tests using the TF100 kit today

K1000 test
Cl 1ppm
Ph 8.2

Chlorine drop test - no chlorine, fc 0, cc 0

TA 180

My tf100 was purchased in july 2015, during the year i did not use it because i had a pool guy , i recently took over managing my own pool. Is the tf100 kit results valid, since its a year old?

This is a 15000 gallon salt water pool. The SWG shows 2800 and i have it running in the super chlorinate position , generating light is ON.

Since Chlorine was low, and i need to use the pool in few hours. I added two one pound bags of chlor brite, that product from leslies.

Please advise what I should do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FC 15 Too high to swim, this is higher than your SLAM level.
CC 1 Looks like something may be growing in the water.
Ph 8.2 Too high.. need to bring this down using muriatic acid
TA 150 High, which contributes to your pH being high. When you drop your pH with MA, this will start to come down also
CH 250 Ok for a pool with a heater
CYA 20 Too low for a pool in hot sunny Austin. CYA this low will also make the FC disappear faster.

Here are suggested levels for pools: Pool School - Recommended Levels

Assuming your water is clear and no signs of algae:
Get some stabilizer in there, enough per PoolMath to bring it up to about 70ppm.
You should also check your salt level because if its too low your SWG may not be working optimally.
Let the FC drop to match your CYA level- see this: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
Drop your pH with Muriatic Acid using Pool Math to guide you.

If you're not sure if your pool is vinyl, one way to know is does it have a fake printed tile pattern on it? Got a picture you can share?

The FC went from zero to 15 within 2 hours of my dropping 2 pounds of chlor brite powder into the pool.

The water is very clear and clean. I see a small spot of green algae about one inch size at the bottom of my spa. Nothing in the pool, the pool floor is clean.

How do i increase the CYA ?

You can buy it in 4 pound jugs at Lowes, or Walmart. It is called Stabilizer or Cyanuric Acid. Look in the pool section.
Put the proper amount in a sock and hang it in front of a pool water return to dissolve. You can squeeze it now and then to help speed it up. It will put out white cloudy water but it won't hurt you. After its all dissolved wait a day or two and re-test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bc57baf23b2f8eb76ca4991a37da9742.jpg

I got this cyanuric acid stabilizer from walmart today. I put 12 oz in each skimmer of my pool and running the pump now. Is adding it to skimmer the proper way to do it ?

I am not sure where my pool water return is, and even if i found it how would i hang it there in a sock ? Use a stick with a string tied to it ?? After i added the stabilizer crystals to the skimmers i dont see any white cloudy stuff yet

no, if you put it in the skimmer (and assuming it didn't clog the pipe) it is now in your filter....slowly dissolving there. No backwashing for about a week so you don't lose it until its fully dissolved into the water.

We don't recommend putting it loose in the skimmer or the water, but doing just as you said-hanging off a stick works great. I also hang if from some pool noodle that floats around my pool. You just don't want it sitting against the wall or loose on the floor of the pool as its kinda acidic and might stain/bleach the liner.

Your returns are the little round places in the pool wall that water shoots in from the pump.

addendum: PoolMath says that to take your CYA from 20 to 70 will require 100 ounces of stabilizer. Go slow, you already added 24ish ounces, right? Try another 50 and then give it a few days and retest. Better to creep up on the goal rather than risk over-doing it.

Don't sweat it.. we tend to advise folks on the safest way to do things with the least chance of problems. You'd know by now if you'd had a problem, but it is harder to determine when the granules are entirely dissolved when they're in the filter.

Is it okay to store these pool chemicals like stabilizer, muriatic acid, pool salt, baking soda outdoors in the texas heat . They will be covered inside a large deck box beside my pool. The temp in summer can be 100 and winter 35

MA and bleach both have vented lids. MA and Chlorine DO NOT play nicely together... in fact they make a poison gas. So you should never keep them near each other or store the MA near metal. I keep mine in a plastic cabinet next to my pool filter with the rest of my chemicals (which actually are few) in the pool house.

Once MA and Chlorine Bleach are added individually to the pool water and mixed they're fine, just put about 15 min between additions in the water.

I conducted another test today. This is after adding 24 oz of stabilizer yesterday, and 1000 ml of MA. Ph dropped and cya went up. FC is still high. Plan to add more stabilizer today. Please advise next steps. Can the pool be used by me and two kids in this state ?

FC 6
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 160
CH 225
CYA 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.