Grapevine, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Does anyone know whether either the HTH "Salt Cell Saver" or the Clorox "Salt Cell Protector" does anything good -- or anything bad -- to/for Salt Cells or to/for the pool?

From their labels:

- the Clorox (liquid) product says it contains "Polymaleic Acid and Phosphoric Acid"
- the HTH (dry) product says it contains "Trisodium Nitriloacetate"

If using one of these actually does slow down calcium scaling in my salt cell or extends its effective life, I'll give it a try. But I just don't know what those chemical are, what they do, or whether there are good reasons I shouldn't be thinking about adding them to my pool.

Thanks,
Paul

Those chemicals are metal sequestrants. They will react with calcium and bind it up....up until the point that chlorine destroys them and the calcium is re-released. Save your money and don't bother with them. Keeping your CSI low and less than zero is more effective. You can also add borates to your pool water. Borates will cut the pH rise inside the cell by almost half and it is the high pH inside the cell that is the greatest factor in calcium scaling.

Reactions: TishTash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.