First Complete Test Results

Jul 13, 2016
las vegas, nevada
I just finished my first complete test results using the TF-100 test kit. Results listed below. I will be adding liquid chlorine in a few minutes. But, besides that does everything else look ok? The CYA test was a little subjective. It could have been 50 or 40. I am going to practice a little more with R-7065. I am not quite sure about PH. I've been reading anything between 7.2 and 7.8 is good. I have been adding half a gallon of liquid chlorine and acid for FC/PH every 2-3 days. I am trying to keep the PH level around 7.5 and the chlorine level around 1-4 ppm. I am not quite sure about CYA, TA, CH and CC. Thanks!

TC = 0.5 (from K-1000)
PH = 7.8
CYA = 50
TA = 100
CH = 400
FC = 1
CC = 0
TC = 1 (FC + CC)

Hi Eddie. :wave: Definitely get that bleach in there ASAP. I would keep FC between 5-7 on any given day. Please see the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). You might save on pH adjustments by trying to lower TA a little more following the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. If you have any other questions, let us know. Congrats on your test kit! :goodjob:

So I need to throw some acid in to lower the pH and then run my waterfall more to aerate. Then, keep repeating until my TA gets to what level? 90, 80? Also, I am now confused about TC versus FC. Since I have no CC, TC and FC need to be between 5-7 ppm. Is that correct? I thought a TC level higher than 4 was dangerous for swimmers. Thanks!

Total chlorine (TC) is FC+CC. FC is good, CC more than 0.5, not so much. CC numbers show your used up chlorine; chlorine that has done its job killing bad stuff.

Whoever told you that TC higher than 4 is not a person we would believe. For one thing, that could be FC 1 and CC 3. Yikes!

We believe in keeping your FC in the proper ratio to your CYA. For you, that would be never, ever falling below 4ppm FC. I would aim for 8 if it was my pool. Read this for more info: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

- - - Updated - - -

Your focus now should be on FC, not TA. How does your water look? Is it crystal clear?

So confused. Haha. I practiced some more with the R-7065 to see what a 50 CYA reading looks like and then retested my pool. My CYA is 30. Using the Chlorine / CYA Chart I should be keeping my pool at 4 ppm FC. Is that right? Also, since my CC is zero and TC = FC + CC, I should be keeping my TC at 4 ppm. Which means when I test using K-1000 basic pool kit test my TC should be 4 ppm. Is that right? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.