Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Salt for new Quartzite Pool; Method?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Salt for new Quartzite Pool; Method?

New quartzite refinish on my 16k gal. pool. I've waited a month, and now I'm adding salt, Diamond Crystal from Home Depot. I did a quick search, but didn't see any particular method to adding salt other than dumping and brushing. I'm putting in abuot 340 lbs, and its mostly just sitting on the bottom, so I'm brushing as best I can, any secrets to the best way to introduce salt?

Thanks,
    Joel
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Salt for new Quartzite Pool; Method?

Throw a couple of kids in there and let them stir things up Seriously, the way you're doing it is about the only way. It won't take too long to dissolve.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually kids splashing is a good idea, we did it... 😊

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are adding salt for an SWG, please wait several days for the water to fully mix before you start it up. Salt water is heavier than fresh water and it takes time for the water to fully mix and homogenize. People too often add salt and then turn on their SWGs right away causing all sorts of high and low salt alarms to go off
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Joyful, I think patience is probably important. I got it up to about 2900/3000 yesterday, but my readings would hold a minute or two, then fall to zero. I replaced my PCB a year or two ago with an aftermarket, and whenever I've called Hayward for a problem, they blame the board and won't help. I just replaced the TC-15 under warranty a few months ago, so I'm going to try one more time tonight with the board, then I'm just going to replace the main GLX-PCB. Looks like about $185 on Amazon direct from Hayward, so at least I'll be back to OEM. Has anyone else had the issue of the salt #'s dropping to 0 after a brief, and presumably accurate, reading?
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring

6. Back To Top    #6

I dumped 2 bags of 40 lbs each at a time for a total of 10 bags and brushing in between. Run pump and Dolphin cleaner for 3 hours and whalah.

Anyway, my newly installed SWP15 worked flawlessly for the first couple of hours then suddenly dropped the instant salinity to 0. The disappearance of tiny gas bubbles on the return rings the bell. The SWG is in normal state and generating, no red light. However, salinity and current dropped to 0, go figure! I had to cycle power to recover and had not seen the problem since.
    My gripe is, the SWG Salt level is all over the place. Fine with me as long as it is generating the amount of chlorine as it should.

Hope you're using K-1766 to determine the salt level in your pool.
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.