Frustrated! - Cannot open pump cleanout without it syphoning all the water

Apr 27, 2016
San Antonio, TX
The cleanout basket on my pump says to loosen the drain plug (I assume the one on the bottom of the basket) and then open the top. Problem is, when you do that, water starts coming out the plug and when you try to turn the top, the fitting connecting it to the pump motor starts coming loose and apart. And, I still can't get the top off! UGH!! SO FRUSTRATED right now! :mad:

Attachments

• DSC_0811.jpg
    DSC_0811.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0810.jpg
    DSC_0810.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 38
I just installed a Waterway cartridge that looks like that.
Do you have valves between the pool and the pump/filter on both sides?
If so are you shutting them off before opening the drain plug or basket lid?
If not then you need to figure out how to plug the skimmer line and the return line before you open the system.
Once you have it plugged off it won't drain the pool when you open the lid.

I've opened my basket lid a few times since I've had it, and it is pretty hard to get it to move. I've found that bumping the lid ears gently helps in getting the lid to move. I think next time I open it I'll lube the o-ring really well, and I think that'll help the next time.

I'm planning on building a tool that fits over the lid and engages the ears. Hopefully that'll help with opening it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.