Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated! - Cannot open pump cleanout without it syphoning all the water

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated! - Cannot open pump cleanout without it syphoning all the water

The cleanout basket on my pump says to loosen the drain plug (I assume the one on the bottom of the basket) and then open the top. Problem is, when you do that, water starts coming out the plug and when you try to turn the top, the fitting connecting it to the pump motor starts coming loose and apart. And, I still can't get the top off! UGH!! SO FRUSTRATED right now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,740 gal., 14'x26x52" Splash-A-Round Summer Breeze AG Soft-Sided Pool, Waterway Clearwater II FD18 DE Filter, Waterway PH1100 1 hp pump, Hayward Diver Dave automatic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frustrated! - Cannot open pump cleanout without it syphoning all the water

I just installed a Waterway cartridge that looks like that.
    Do you have valves between the pool and the pump/filter on both sides?
    If so are you shutting them off before opening the drain plug or basket lid?
    If not then you need to figure out how to plug the skimmer line and the return line before you open the system.
    Once you have it plugged off it won't drain the pool when you open the lid.

I've opened my basket lid a few times since I've had it, and it is pretty hard to get it to move. I've found that bumping the lid ears gently helps in getting the lid to move. I think next time I open it I'll lube the o-ring really well, and I think that'll help the next time.

I'm planning on building a tool that fits over the lid and engages the ears. Hopefully that'll help with opening it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit