Un-labelled Water Pipes- What to turn on/off and when?

Jul 4, 2016
Piedmont NC
So I have a Hayward sand filter and pump system attached to my pool. None of the water pipes coming to and from the ground/filter/pump are labelled, so I don't know which ones to close and leave open during routine maintenance such as when back washing or vacuuming out to wastewater (currently need to get rid of some algae).

There are three white pipes running from the ground to the filter- those are my three returns, correct? There are three returns in the pool.
There are two white pipes running from the ground to the pump- those are my skimmer and main drain, correct?

Then there are a host of other pipes (two I believe) that have no shut off valves, and I am not sure where they go besides into the ground. The back of our property turns into basically a small cliff, and I wonder if the waste or "out" line runs down there somewhere. I can hear it move "under the ground" but can't seem to find where it actually comes out. The woman who took care of the pool before us was a "water certified expert" and "worked in water for 35 years." I'm wondering if she could have done something funky to the lines...

What valves do I open and close, and when doing what activities? I'd rather not damage this large and expensive pump system with my ignorance.

Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.