New Pool Owner w/ Green Pool

Jul 16, 2016
ATOKA, TN
Please Help My pool has been green for over a week here is what I have done so far!!

Water test 7/13 Leslies Pool
FAC 0
TAC 0
CYA 50
TA 100
PH 7.8
Copper/Iron/phosphates 0

7/13 Shock 2 gallons liquid bleach
7/14 still green 2 bags clorox shock at night
7/15 1 bottle clorox green algea eliminator day time and 4 bags clorox shock at night
7/16 still green

please help my get this cleared up!!

Well, I'll tell ya....pool store "free" tests are only worth what you pay for 'em. Usually pretty inaccurate and they'll usually always find a reason to sell you something.

We can't diagnose your pool's problems without a proper test kit. Since your pool is pretty large, I'd suggest the TF-100 XL (with speed stir if you can swing it) from TFTestkits.net or Amazonso that you can provide us these results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Sadly, the store sold you algaecide without telling you that it won't kill algae present, it only helps *prevent* algae. We rarely suggest their use especially as some contain copper. No one needs to be adding *that* to their water, y'know?

All those bags of "shock" you added also contain either more stabilizing CYA or calcium.. Neither of which you need. When your CYA gets too high, your FC has to be kept at a higher level also or you are risking algae. Which apparently you have.

While waiting for the test kit to arrive (and its pretty fast out of NC), add one gallon of household plain bleach each night until you get that tester, and brush your pool daily. We're in a holding pattern until we can see accurate results.

Start reading too- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry SLAM Process [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

We'll be around to answer your questions as they come up :)

Yippee :flower:

I have a small test kit and am going to order a better one online but that is going to take a few days to get here!!
my current test kit shows my ph 7.8 and my FC 1 so i would need to bring my FC to 20 to shock it? and keep it there until the algae is gone?

There is no way for a little test kit to accurately test your CYA and FC up to SLAM levels. That's the dilemma you're facing now. You don't want to go too low on the chlorine or you're just wasting the effort and product. You don't want to go too high or you risk bleaching your liner.

If you ordered the kit TODAY online, you'd probably have it by Wednesday....

Yip :flower:

Thanks for yor input i posted that reply before i saw what you posted!! I looked at the test kit and it looks like what they use at the pool supply store lol!! I am going to take your advice and wait till i get the test kit. But from what I read with my CYA at 50 i need a shock level of 20 and using the pool math i need about 5 gallons of bleach to bring it to that level and i need to keep it there all day testing at least twice a day until the water is clear and overnight loss of fc of less the 1ppm?

- - - Updated - - -

There is no way for a little test kit to accurately test your CYA and FC up to SLAM levels. That's the dilemma you're facing now. You don't want to go too low on the chlorine or you're just wasting the effort and product. You don't want to go too high or you risk bleaching your liner.

If you ordered the kit TODAY online, you'd probably have it by Wednesday....

Yip :flower:

Thanks for yor input i posted that reply before i saw what you posted!! I looked at the test kit and it looks like what they use at the pool supply store lol!! I am going to take your advice and wait till i get the test kit. But from what I read with my CYA at 50 i need a shock level of 20 and using the pool math i need about 5 gallons of bleach to bring it to that level and i need to keep it there all day testing at least twice a day until the water is clear and overnight loss of fc of less the 1ppm?

Also should i turn my cholrinator off or down?

Thanks for all your help this pool has been never ending!!

So far i have had to:

change the skimmer basket after purchasing all new skimmer parts
reconnect the pvc pipes because the were never properly connected.
change out the pump housing
remove the black sludge at the bottom of the pool after I removed the cover!!
the liner is wrinkled and has bleach spots so will need to be replaced soon.
the multi port valve leaks when it is in recirculate and is hard to turn!!

I know that you can change out the gasket on the multiport valve and that should help with the leak problem. You should also only turn the valve in one direction only (say counter-clockwise or clockwise) to get to the desired setting. That saves wear and tear on the gasket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.