Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA reading method

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA reading method

Hi all,
    I am getting my CYA up after a new liner installation and have a question about reading the number. I noticed when you hold the tube at the top with your fingers, the reading is higher. The dot disappears sooner. But if you cup your whole hand around the tube like my husband does, you see the dot longer and the number is lower. Cupping the tube blocks most of the light out of the tube. So I'm thinking it should be held at the top with your fingers, not blocking the light from going through the tube. It seems to make a difference of about 10 points. That's quite a bit. And we are standing with our back toward the sun like it tells you to do.
    Thanks for your input.
    Sherry
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA reading method

Bright sunlight with your back to the sun... Hold the tube at waist level with your finger and thumb at the top of the tube. Add solution until the dot is faded to a shadow, then add 1-2 drops at a time until it just disappears. The result may be between 2 marks (lets say it looks like 35) but I will call it 40 to match a target level, since the test isn't accurate between lines.
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! That's exactly what I thought about just using the finger and thumb at the top. But always need to be sure.
    Sherry
    19,000 gallons, In ground 16 x 32, Vinyl liner, Sand filter Hayward Pro Series S-244T (300 lb media), Pump Hayward 1 hp, Install March 1998, water test kit- TF-100 -- New Liner installed 07-07-2016 -- Mountain Top/Blue Mosaic by Kafko, Installed new 1 hp pump motor on 06-28-2017

4. Back To Top    #4

You're welcome!!!
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun