Haywood Pool Pump Tripping Breaker

crey5

Jul 16, 2016
las vegas, NV
I have a pretty old Haywood pool pump. It is at least 5 years old probably more like 8 or 9. It has been turning itself off frequently over the last couple of months. I live in Las Vegas so I thought it was getting too hot so I just put the timer for 1/2 hour on 2 or 3 hours off. Now the pump will not turn on and trips the main breaker. We changed out the breaker on the timer/filter by the pool and the GFI. That did not help. We have not changed the main breaker because if I turn the filter breaker off the lights and bubbler for the spa still work. As soon as I turn the filter breaker on, the filter/pump makes a slight noise and the main breaker trips.

My question is...could the pump be bad and that is the cause. I didn't know if it would trip the breaker that quickly Is there any quick fix to try or is it time for a new pump

Thank you.

Carol

Welcome to TFP :)

Sounds like your pump is going out.. can you take it to a motor company and have them test it?

I agree it sounds like you have pump motor problems. It is relatively easy to replace the pump motor usually without having to touch the plumbing. There are numerous youtube videos on the subject

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.